Download your Fellow application pack
It can take between 12 to 16 weeks to review your application so be patient - we will always let you know the outcome.
Please note: the application pack will download as a .zip file and may not open on mobile devices.
Starting your application
The application process is straightforward but it’s worth making sure you’re fully prepared. Why not speak to a Fellowship Assessor for the inside track on what to expect? Contact a Fellowship Assessor.
- Identify your application criteria: take a look at our 'Criteria for Fellowship' document (included in your application pack) and decide which two or three of the nine you feel most correspond to your experience.
- Find two supporters: you’ll need two supporters to confirm that you meet the eligibility criteria. One must already be a Fellow of the IET, the second should be your line manager or someone who knows you professionally. If you don’t know any Fellows, you can search for one here or attend a Local Network event where you can meet other members who can help.
- Complete the application pack: make sure you read all the upfront information before you start. The interactive form (included in your application pack) will respond to the answers you give to only show the questions that are relevant to your application, and you’ll be able to send it to your supporter for review.
- Submit your pack: once your supporter has approved your application and completed the separate supporter form (included your application pack), you can submit your application electronically (along with your organisation chart) for assessment. Don’t include CVs or certificates as these won’t be passed to the panel.
- Pay your application fee: as soon as we receive your application, we’ll send you an email confirmation. We’ll then send you a link to our secure payment page so you pay the fee.
What happens next?
Your pack will be reviewed by our Fellow assessment panel, made up of individuals who are fellows, where they will evaluate it before making a recommendation to the chairman who will make the final decision.
There are four possible outcomes:
We’ll send you an election pack with your official confirmation letter by post.
We may invite you to an interview to ask you some further questions.
We may ask you to reapply following a further period of work.
We will decline you if you don’t have enough experience for Fellowship.
What if you want to appeal?
We hope that you’ll trust our decision and take it in good faith, but if you do want to appeal against the decision, you can do so within three months of your decision letter. You’ll need to send your claim and evidence which shows a significant fault in how we’ve processed or handled your application, or, if you came for an interview, serious or exceptional, unanticipated, personal mitigating circumstances that caused you to underperform, to email@example.com
We’ll send you an application appeal form to fill out, and you’ll need to pay an appeal fee which will be refunded if your appeal is upheld.