Criteria for IET Membership (MIET)


Ideally, you’ll have:

  • Pass/Ordinary/Honours Bachelor degree in an appropriate subject (BSc, BTech, BEng (Hons), MEng, MSc, PhD).

We’ll accept these qualifications with a current CV showing your experience working at graduate level:

  • Postgraduate diploma, professional qualification or certification
  • Other Honours degrees, higher degrees in a relevant subject such as physics or mathematics.

We’ll also accept these qualifications with a current CV showing your work experience (between two to 12 years) and work at graduate level:

  • UK Foundation degree in an appropriate subject
  • UK NVQ/SVQ at level 4 or 5 in an appropriate subject
  • UK HND/HNC in technology
  • City and Guilds 236 (electrical installation)
  • Electrotechnical Certification Scheme (ESC) Platinum or Black Card.


You should have experience of working at or above a Graduate level, some examples of suitable roles* would include:

  • Engineer working at or above graduate level
  • Graduate Training Scheme or Postgraduate research/study for Masters or PhD
  • Qualified Teacher (QT), FE or HE lecturer responsible for science, mathematics, IT, engineering, design or technology
  • Qualifying supervisor in electrical installation (as defined by ECA, NICEIC, NAPIT, STROMA)
  • Trainer – military (non-commissioned) or industrial
  • UK government engineer of technologist, grades B, C or D
  • Armed Services – commissioned officers, non-commissioned offices at Warrant Officer or equivalent
  • IT analyst
  • Consultant or self-employed contractor working in graduate levels client-side
  • Manager or self-employed contractor responsible for managing budgets, staff, contracts
  • Manager, senior manager or director of an SME, or
  • Authorised person or inspector with legal responsibility or liability for inspecting and approving safety-critical systems or equipment.

*Not an extensive list, other roles would be considered upon review. You can contact us on +44 (0)1438 765 678 or at for more information.

What to do if you don’t have the qualifications

Don’t worry! You’ll need to give us a bit more information so we can assess your experience and you’ll need to ask a supporter to co-sign your application and complete the supporter inquiry form below.

Your supporter will need to confirm that you’ve got the knowledge you need to be a member of the IET, so you should ask someone close to you professionally like your employer, another member of the IET or someone else who knows you in a work capacity. If you don’t think you’ll be able to find someone suitable to support your application, contact us for advice on the best way to proceed.

What happens when you join?

Once your application has been approved, it’s time to celebrate and start using your designatory letters (MIET or TMIET) after your name. Add them to your CV and your professional profiles to make sure that your job applications stand out and your skills are recognised by your current and future employers.

For more information on how to use them correctly, see our guide.