Start of main content

Gaining professional registration as an air engineer (Fleet Air Arm)

Which criteria are right for me?




You must hold the substantive rank of Lieutenant or above.

You must hold the substantive rank of at least Chief Petty Officer Air Engineer Technician (CPOAET).

You must hold NVQ L3 qualification in their trade or be post-Certificate of Competency to Supervise Aircraft Maintenance Leading Air Engineering Technician.

You should have completed a Deputy Air Engineer Officer post or appointment holding similar levels of responsibility.

You should have been awarded the Aircraft Certificate of Competency and held MAP-01 Level G and H authorisations.

You should have completed a programme leading to NVQ L3; or a suitable qualification at QCF3 (or SCQF or EQF equivalent) or above.

You also need an accredited Bachelors degree with honours in engineering or technology, plus either an appropriate Masters degree accredited by a professional engineering institution, or appropriate further learning to Masters level or an accredited integrated MEng degree.

You should have completed a Technical Engineering Appointment in the substantive rank, post completion of training, for at least two years.


You also need an appropriate Bachelors degree in engineering or technology or a Higher National Certificate, Diploma or Foundation Degree in engineering and technology, plus evidence of additional learning (including work-based learning).


We believe in the value of experience as well as education. That’s why they will consider your application even if you don’t meet the above academic requirements but can prove you have the same level of knowledge and understanding.

1.    For review and endorsement:

For CEng/IEng:

NAVY CSAV-Eng Training SO2

Air Engineer Branch


Leach Building

Whale Island




For EngTech, please obtain endorsement from your ETO

2.    To submit to the IET:

Registration and Standards
The Institution of Engineering and Technology
Futures Place
Kings Way

Or email

Electronic signatures can be accepted.

Good to know

  • You need to be a member of the IET before applying.
  • Military/MOD computers might have trouble downloading the application pack. If you have any problems please email
  • All military personnel are also able to apply via the standard route of application, providing you meet the Engineering Council requirements.
  • Applications must be endorsed before submitting to the IET.