How to apply for Incorporated Engineer (IEng)

What do I need to do to become an Incorporated Engineer (IEng)?

You can apply to become an Incorporated Engineer in two ways:

  1. Online via Career Manager, the IET's online skills development and recording tool for a reduced application fee;
  2. Via a paper application form which can be downloaded from our website.

You must be a member of the IET before applying. For more information please visit the 'About membership' page.

What evidence will I need to submit?

You will need to present evidence to demonstrate your level of competence in both your application form and in a face-to-face interview. Examples of evidence include:

  • how you have used your technical and/or engineering knowledge and understanding to apply technology to an aspect of your work;
  • how you have applied theoretical and practical methods to design, develop, manufacture, construct, commission, operate, maintain, decommission or recycle a technical/engineering process, system, service or product;
  • where you exercised your technical and commercial management skills;
  • your personal commitment to professional standards and recognition to obligations to society, the profession and the environment.

The Engineering Council's UK-SPEC competence framework, is the standard you will be reviewed against to become an Incorporated Engineer.

You will also need to nominate at least one or optionally two / three supporters to endorse the details of your application.

Do I need to have a degree?

The list below sets out the different ways in which you may demonstrate the knowledge and understanding to underpin the competences for Incorporated Engineer registration:

  • an accredited Bachelors degree in engineering or technology;
  • a Higher National qualification e.g. HND, or Foundation degree in engineering or technology, plus further learning to Bachelors level;
  • a Higher National qualification started prior to September 1999, e.g. HND or HNC (subject to it meeting certain criteria);
  • other formal qualifications, e.g. those gained overseas, assessed by the IET as equivalent in the context of your overall application;
  • work-based learning, assessed by the IET in the context of your overall application;
  • a combination of the above.

How do I find out if my qualification is accredited for IEng?

Remember that formal education is just one option. If you do not hold a formal qualification, but can provide other evidence of your technical knowledge and understanding, you can still become registered.

How much does it cost to become an Incorporated Engineer?

You can find the cost for applying for professional registration on our application fees for professional registration page.

I’m not sure if I’m ready to apply

Contact a professional registration advisor (PRA) if you have any questions about your application. They are able to review draft application forms and advise on whether you are ready to apply to the IET for professional registration.

If you are just starting your professional development and are not ready to apply, you can register your interest and let the IET support you as you undertake initial professional development and work towards becoming an incorporated engineer.

You can begin to compile your evidence using Career Manager. This will help you build evidence until you’re ready to apply to become an Incorporated Engineer. Career Manager is aligned to the Engineering Council's UK Standard for Professional Engineering Competence (UK-SPEC).

If you are still unsure, but are on an accredited company scheme, speak to your scheme advisor who will be able to give you further advice.

I still need help!

You may find answers to some of your questions in the professional registration frequently asked questions.

We will do as much as we can to support you with any aspect of your application, so please get in touch if you need help and advice.

Tel: +44 (0) 1438 767 333
Email: profreg@theiet.org


See also:

Competence and commitment standard for Incorporated Engineer

What happens after applying for Incorporated Engineer?