How to apply for Chartered Engineer (CEng)

What do I need to do to become a Chartered Engineer?

You can apply to become a Chartered Engineer (CEng) in two ways:

  1. Online via Career Manager, the IET's online skills development and recording tool for a reduced application fee;
  2. Via a paper application form which can be downloaded from our website.

You must be a member of the IET before applying. For more information please visit the 'About membership' page.

What evidence will I need to submit?

You will need to present evidence to demonstrate your level of competence in both your application form and in a face-to-face interview. Examples of evidence include:

  • how you used your technical and/or engineering knowledge and understanding to improve or exploit new and advancing technology;
  • how you applied a combination of theoretical and practical methods to analyse and solve a technical and/or engineering problem. This may include the identification of a potential project and where you have conducted appropriate research to design and develop an engineering solution;
  • where you exercised your technical and commercial leadership skills;
  • your personal commitment to professional standards and recognition of obligations to society, the profession and the environment.

The Engineering Council's UK-SPEC competence framework, is the standard you will be reviewed against to become a Chartered Engineer.

You will also need to nominate at least one or optionally two / three supporters to endorse the details of your application.

Do I need to have a degree?

There are several different ways in which you may demonstrate the knowledge and understanding to underpin the competences for Chartered Engineer registration:

  • an accredited Bachelor’s degree with Honours in engineering or technology, plus either an accredited Master’s degree, or appropriate further learning to Masters level;
  • an accredited, integrated MEng degree;
  • an accredited Bachelor’s degree with Honours in engineering or technology, started prior to September 1999 when the standard changed;
  • other formal qualifications, e.g. those gained overseas, assessed by the IET as equivalent in the context of your overall application;
  • work-based learning, assessed by the IET in the context of your overall application;
  • a combination of the above.

How do I find out if my qualification is accredited for Chartered Engineer?

Remember that formal education is just one option. If you do not hold a formal qualification, but can provide other evidence of your technical knowledge and understanding, you can still become registered.

How much does it cost to become a Chartered Engineer?

You can find the cost for becoming registered on our application fees for professional registration page.

I’m not sure if I’m ready to apply

Contact a professional registration advisor (PRA) if you have any questions about your application. They are able to review draft applications advise you on whether you are ready to apply to the IET for professional registration.

If you are just starting your professional development and are not ready to apply, you can register your interest and let the IET support you as you undertake initial professional development and work towards becoming a Chartered Engineer.

You can begin to compile your evidence using Career Manager. This will help you build evidence until you’re ready to apply to become a Chartered Engineer. Career Manager is aligned to the Engineering Council's UK Standard for Professional Engineering Competence (UK-SPEC).

If you are still unsure, and are on an accredited company scheme, speak to your scheme advisor who will be able to give you further advice.

I still need help!

You may find answers to some of your questions in the professional registration frequently asked questions.

We will do as much as we can to support you with any aspect of your application, so please get in touch if you need help and advice.


Tel: +44 (0) 1438 767 333
Email: profreg@theiet.org


See also:

Competence and commitment standard for Chartered Engineers (CEng)

What happens after applying for Chartered Engineer (CEng)?