Use of designatory letters

Guidance on how to display designatory letters.

If you are entitled to use designatory letters after your name, please read our guidance on how to display them.

IET membership designatory letters

The table below shows you the designatory letters you may use according to your membership category:

Membership category

Designatory letters

Honorary FellowHon FIET
AssociateNo permitted designatory letters
StudentNo permitted designatory letters

Engineering Council professional registration designatory letters

IET members and Fellows who are registered with the Engineering Council and pay their registration fee through the IET, may use the appropriate designation:


Designatory letters

Chartered EngineerCEng
Incorporated EngineerIEng
Engineering TechnicianEngTech
ICT TechnicianICTTech

How to display your designatory letters - best practice

Engineering Council designatory letters should be used after letters denoting decorations or degrees, and before letters indicating IET membership. Alternatively, the title can be used in full at the end. For example:

  • A B Smith OBE MEng CEng FIET;
  • A B Smith OBE BSc IEng MIET;
  • A B Smith OBE EngTech TMIET;
  • A B Smith OBE MIET Incorporated Engineer.

Members who pay Engineering Council registration fees via another licensed member body of the Engineering Council must show the designation for the institution through which they are registered immediately after their Engineering Council designation. For example:

  • A B Smith OBE CEng FRAeS FIET.

Please note: 

The use of membership and registration designations applies to individual members only, and not to a firm or company to which one or more members may belong.