In 1932, some members of the IERE formed their own organisation, the British Institution of Radio Engineers (BritIRE). Many radio engineers worked with both bodies, and in 1941 they merged to form the British Institution of Radio Engineers.
Through the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s, the BritIRE set up local and international centres and held major conferences and conventions. The BritIRE received royal patronage from King George VI and Earl Mountbatten, who also served twice as President. In 1960 membership stood at over 6,300, and in 1961 it was awarded a Royal Charter.
In 1964 the Institution changed its name to the Institution of Electronics and Radio Engineers (IERE), to reflect the broadening interests of its members. Membership reached 10,000 in 1965, and more links with the IEE were formed – a permanent joint liaison committee was set up in 1965, and the IEE began to use the IERE’s facilities in Bangalore for its members in India.
A Joint Working Party with the IEE was set up in 1984 to consider closer links between the two institutions, given the increasing overlap in membership. Its report was issued at the end of 1985, and on 11 December 1986 Special General Meetings were held simultaneously by both institutions. Both returned substantial majorities in favour of a merger, to take effect in October 1988. In 1987 the IERE moved into Savoy Hill House, the building adjoining the IEE’s Savoy Place headquarters, and in September 1988 the final IERE conferences and its last AGM took place. The two institutions formally merged on 1 October 1988.
More information on the IERE and its archive collections can be found by searching the Archives catalogue