Start of main content

CEng and IEng Career Manager application guidance notes



Your application will be assessed against the UK-SPEC competence and commitment statements. Please ensure you are aware of these requirements. 

Application Fees

You will be required to pay a non-refundable application fee for professional registration. This fee should be paid within seven days of submission of your application in order for the application process to begin.

Professional registration fees are payable in Sterling (GBP £), with special arrangements in other currencies. Further details are available on our Professional registration fees page.

Successful applicants are required to pay an entrance fee which is collected by the IET on behalf of the Engineering Council. Only on receipt of this payment can your details be sent to the Engineering Council for inclusion on their register. Once your details have been added to the Engineering Council register you are able to use your professional registration designatory letters (CEng, or IEng).

Please note that should this payment not be made within three months of notification, your application may be closed.

Guidance document

The following guidance document should be read before preparing your professional registration application.

Download the CEng and IEng Career Manager Guidance Notes [PDF, 176KB]

Go to CEng & IEng Guidance [PDF, 176KB]


Additional information

  • The IET is licensed by the Engineering Council to award the professional engineering qualifications defined in the UK Standard for Professional Engineering Competence (UK-SPEC).
  • The information you provide initially will be used to carry out a review of your application. As a result, you may be asked to provide further information about your work experience to successfully demonstrate the competences set out in UK-SPEC. You will receive guidance notes to assist you if you are asked to provide additional information.
  • If you have any enquiries, please contact the Registration and Standards Department.

If you need further help, you may wish to look up a professional registration advisor in your area.