Welcome Login

Using your designatory letters

What letters can you use?

IET designatory letters

Membership Category Designatory Letters
Honorary Fellow Hon FIET
Fellow FIET
Member MIET or TMIET
Associate No designatory letters
Student No designatory letters

Engineering Council professional registration designatory letters

Title Designatory letters
Chartered Engineer CEng
Incorporated Engineer IEng
Engineering Technician EngTech
ICT Technician ICTTech 

How do you use them?

You should use your Engineering Council letters after your decorations or degrees, and before your IET membership letters:

  • A B Smith OBE MEng CEng FIET
  • A B Smith OBE BSc IEng MIET
  • A B Smith OBE EngTech TMIET

Or you can use the title in full at the end, like this:

  • A B Smith OBE MIET Incorporated Engineer

If you pay your Engineering Council fees through another licensed member body, you must show the institution’s designation immediately after, like this:

  • A B Smith OBE CEng FRAeS FIET

Advance Notice of System Unavailability

From 2pm until approx. 4pm BST on Sunday 4th October, some IET services will be unavailable while we carry out planned maintenance.

During this time, you will be unable to log on to the IET family of websites. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.