Amongst the line-up are broadcaster, writer, pilot and STEM expert Carol Vorderman and Stephen Metcalfe MP (Conservative MP for South Basildon and East Thurrock), former Government Envoy for the Year of Engineering in 2018.
On receiving her accolade, Carol said: “I feel truly honoured to have received this award. I’ve worked with the IET in recent years celebrating the engineering profession and its impact on our world.
As one of the first women to read Engineering at Cambridge University in the 1970s, I’ve watched as the profession has changed and continues to change. My love for engineering never abates.
To be recognised alongside world-renowned engineers and technologists is fantastic.”
The six Honorary Fellows for 2021 are:
- Grace Baxter BSc in recognition of her outstanding service to the Institution of Engineering and Technology.
- Sir George Buckley FREng DSc PhD in recognition of his outstanding contribution to the engineering profession
- Margaret Graham BEng MSc in recognition of her outstanding service to the Institution of Engineering and Technology.
- Keith Marshall OBE BSc FCGI in recognition of his outstanding service to the Institution of Engineering and Technology
- Stephen Metcalfe MP in recognition of his outstanding contribution to the engineering profession
- Carol Vorderman MBE MA in recognition of her outstanding contribution to the engineering profession.
On awarding the Honorary Fellowships, IET President Sir Julian Young, said: “I’m delighted that our Institution is marking the outstanding achievements of these distinguished people with one of the IET’s highest honours, Honorary Fellowship.
They each have excelled in their own technical disciplines, made truly great contributions across our engineering profession, and inspired others through their expertise, knowledge, and service.
They should all be justifiably proud of their accomplishments, with each being extremely well-deserved.”
Read the full list of IET Honorary Fellows on the IET’s website.