Many companies begin their advertising and recruitment early in the year, January to April, offering places for a September start. However, apprenticeships are available all year round, so it’s worth looking as soon as you’ve decided it's what you want to do.
Where to look
Here's some guidance on where to begin your search:
- Approach companies that have IET Accredited Apprenticeship Schemes.
- Use these links to find out what apprenticeships are available in your area:
- Check The Apprenticeship Guide’s online list of vacancies.
- Look through magazines and newspapers and check E&T Jobs regularly.
- Network with family, friends, and members of local professional groups.
- Go to the IET Local Networks page to find networking and social events in your community.
- Attend career and trade fairs, conferences, lectures and take part in work experience days to learn about all aspects of engineering and to meet and talk with experienced engineers.
- Find out if your local college offers engineering apprenticeships.
- If you’ve found a company that particularly interests you, approach them directly to discuss opportunities.
- If you’re already working, ask your employer if they’d consider taking you on as an apprentice? Point them to the employers’ section of the National Apprenticeship Service website for more information.
Join IET Signature
Signature is a programme made for early career engineers and technicians looking to kick-start their professional success. It’s been designed to deliver the information, tools, and support that apprentices need to succeed.
Get started in three easy steps:
- Read about Apprentice Signature.
- Sign up with our online application form.
- Receive your IET Signature welcome pack.