What is competence?
Competence is your ability to carry out a task to a high standard. In this case, it is against the UK-SPEC standard. It is a combination of the right level of knowledge, understanding and skills. You can develop competence with a combination of formal and informal learning, training and experience.
When you apply, there are five general areas of competence that are assessed:
- Knowledge and understanding
- Design and development of processes, systems, services and products
- Responsibility, management or leadership
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Professional commitment.
What is commitment?
Commitment is the demonstration of dedication and engagement to the engineering profession, society and environment. When you apply you will need to show you have adopted a set of values and behaviours that uphold the high reputation of your profession.
You will be required to provide evidence of:
- complying with codes of practice
- managing and applying safe systems of work
- undertaking engineering activities in a way that contributes to sustainable development
- carrying out CPD necessary to maintain and enhance competence
- actively participating within the profession.