Distance can also help you think more clearly and improve your attitude. That being said, you need to go about suggesting a career break very carefully - you wouldn’t want to damage your career! Here’s how:
- Talk to people who’ve done it before you.
- Check your company policy and think about your employer’s attitude to career breaks.
- Don’t demand – negotiate, and be prepared to ask more than once. Pose it as a win-win situation where everybody benefits.
- Make a list of all things you’ll gain from your time out and share them with your employer. For example, new skills, renewed enthusiasm, contacts and so on. Remember, it’s not a holiday!
- Figure out who’ll be covering when you’re away and don’t leave any gaps in your plan.
- Talk about what happens after your break so your employer knows you plan to be back, buzzing with renewed motivation!