Member person specification
Each committee member should be able to demonstrate as many as possible of the following skills:
- Understanding and commitment to the Institution and its objectives
- An understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of Board Membership
- The ability to make good, independent judgements
- The ability to develop policy
- High level strategic thinking and vision
- Ability to assess performance
- Ability to think creatively
- Willingness to speak their mind
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team and to accept consensus decisions and act upon them
- Ability to influence, empower and where necessary lead a team
- Experience in one or more of the sectors of interest to the Institution.
The Communities Committee need skills and experience in the following areas:
- Strategic leadership of a global organisation
- Governance and non-executive directorship
- Serving the public interest
- Strategic planning, and monitoring and evaluating performance in commercial and non-profit organisations
- Policy development
- Financial management
- Risk management
- Influencing stakeholders
- Public relations/communication/marketing
- Understanding of the international engineering and technology industry.
- Operations experience in a sales & marketing environment at corporate level
- Working experience in the defined region
- Good connections across the defined region
- Good knowledge of the issues that affect the delivery of the IET’s products and services across the region
- Experience with an international community of people and organisations
- A highly regarded professional stature and credibility
- Good understanding of current IET products & service, and the institution’s operation.
- Awareness of young persons issues.