Manufacturing Policy Panel
Identifying policy issues applicable to the manufacturing sector and providing guidance to government.
The IET Manufacturing Policy Panel is made up of high profile representatives from large and small manufacturing companies, manufacturing academia and related organisations.
The aims of the panel are to:
- provide guidance and direction to the IET on activities supporting the manufacturing sector
- articulate a point of view about the prerequisites for a successful UK manufacturing industry and the role of the IET towards this end
- maintain liaison with other interested and influential bodies
- formulate responses, on behalf of the IET to appropriate government or non governmental organisation (NGO) publications and opinion and policy forming activities
- raise to the attention of the IET any items of concern or interest in the area of manufacturing
Members of the Manufacturing Policy Panel
(previous output can be found in
- Manufacturing and innovation
This is a joint activity with the Innovation and Emerging Transport Technology Policy Panel and looks at gaining a wide perspective on manufacturing innovation and highlighting key restricting factors that are preventing innovation in UK manufacturing. The IET Manufacturing Innovation conference held at Austin Court, Birmingham explored this topic further through expert discussions.
For more info visit
Manufacturing and Innovation Conference 2014
- Engaging manufacturing SMEs
Government support for manufacturing is seen as effective - when it works - but evidence shows that SMEs and supply-chains do not have the expertise to access the support they need. In this project the Manufacturing Policy Panel looks at ways that the communication between SMEs and government can be improved and what manufacturers’ key concerns are.
The IET has produced the following document to help local manufacturers find their way into government procurement contracts.
For more information on manufacturing issues visit
Manufacturing key topics
Additional submissions made by the IET may be found in the submissions archive.
If you are a member, and would like to input into the IET's policy work, please join the Manufacturing Policy Key.
For more information on the Manufacturing Policy Panel please contact the Policy Department at firstname.lastname@example.org