British Business Embassy days - Energy Summit - The Journey to Smart Energy (Day 2)
The second day of the Energy Summit, held on 7 August 2012, focused on the challenges raised by the tremendous growth in energy demand, especially gas, the strength of the UK sector.
Speakers included Rt Hon Dr. Vince Cable MP, Secretary of State for Business, Innovation & Skills and leaders of several companies including Shell, BP, BG, Statoil and Tullow Oil.
The Summary of the 2-day Energy Summit (144 KB PDF) summarises both days, including views on:
- The scale of the expected growth in demand for energy and the investments that will be needed to meet it;
- The strengths of the UK energy sector, including R&D, engineering expertise – including developed through the North Sea experiences, and ability of UK companies to design, operate and manage complex projects;
- The growing demand for gas, especially liquefied natural gas (LNG), and the ways that LNG is driving new technologies;
- Current issues in the oil and gas sector, from the way that the Gulf tragedy is driving improvements in hazard handling to the engagement of communities as part of the development of new resources in the Arctic and Africa;
- Renewable energy – see Day One.
On 7 August, BP announced its creation of a new International Centre for Advanced Materials (BP-ICAM) based at the University of Manchester.
Local Content - A Global Business Opportunity
Managing Upstream Regulatory Frameworks For Success
Stakeholder Interfaces Needed to Ensure Successful Project Delivery
Stakeholder Interfaces Needed to Ensure Successful Project Delivery - Panel Session
Venturing Into The Future
Operating In A Mature Basin: The Benefits Of A Mature Supple Chain
Opportunities in Mature Provinces
Opportunities in Mature Provinces - Panel Session
The Energy Challenge: How The UK Can Help
The North Sea - A Great British Asset: How To Sustain Employment & Investment In Mature Fields