Increase font size
Topic Title: E.P.C. concerns.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 13 June 2015 12:53 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 13 June 2015 12:53 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Zoomup

I am selling my house and have to have an Energy Performance Certificate thingy. Not that it maters, as the buyer will be completely refurbishing the house anyway and is happy to buy it as seen. More money down the bog.

Anyway the E.P.C. surveyor has letters after his name, Cert DEA and DipDGDA. Wow.

Upon questing the surveyor I noticed that he knew less on certain matters than I did. Perhaps I should have carried out the inspection myself.

Concerns. 1. The surveyor had never seen a warm air gas central heating system before, but did photograph the wall room thermostat and heating time switch controller of said beast..

2. Did not know that an electrical cylinder immersion heater had a rod thermostat inside. I had to show a spare that I had to hand.

3. Thought that the hot water cylinder had to have a strap on tank stat for the immersion heater.

4. Could not reliably identify types of lamps, as being filament, L.E.D. of compact fluorescent.

Had nice aftershave lotion though and arrived on time.

We soldier on. Sigh.

Z.
 13 June 2015 01:14 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Fm

Its all a con,

Green deal
EPC's
ESOS
Energy saving trust
Not even decent consultants offering sound advice.
Stupid advise like add PV!
Put the canteen water boiler on a timeclock
 13 June 2015 01:56 PM

whjohnson

Have to agree FM, the whole shebang is a compete snake-oil exercise.

More non-jobs created by EU paper mandarins to keep the otherwise unemployable in meaningless and unproductive work at the tax payers expense.

-------------------------
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
 13 June 2015 02:00 PM

phantom9

Keep that up and you will soon be a lot like me.
 13 June 2015 03:55 PM

mapj1

You are not alone in maintaining a slightly cynical outlook.
However, these days I often go into a meeting rather more than half-expecting to know more than the "expert" guy coming to do anything like that, and it saves so much time for both of us.
Eventually you develop something like the o'l "effortless superiority" complex exhibited by some politicians- and I only went to a comprehensive school ...
Be careful though - "doesn't suffer fools" and "cantankerous ### " are very similar when viewed externally.

I think the attitude comes to most of us, with being more or less middle aged, perhaps more from one side or the other, and we can roll our eyes at the follies of things we have seen go wrong many times before.

edited to remove some utter claptrap.

regards Mike

Edited: 13 June 2015 at 05:49 PM by mapj1
 13 June 2015 04:57 PM

AncientMariner

Cert DEA = Certificate in Domestic Energy Assessment

http://www.ecmk.co.uk/training/cert-dea-2/

DipDGDA = Diploma Domestic Green Deal Assessment

(another £950 + vat Course from above company)

Cheers!

Clive

Clive S Carver GCGI IEng MIET MITP
 13 June 2015 05:54 PM

mapj1

aahh - I spy an opportunity!
That syllabus does not include 'Light fitting recognition for Muppets' a course I will happily run with one to one tuition and a free light bulb to every successful student who completes the full 30 minute course.

Fees on application, after weighting in of wallet and a brief IQ assessment.

regards Mike
 14 June 2015 11:24 AM

Zoro

Green Deal and energy saving scams are many and highly profitable.

Many are run by the same or similar organisations that run Schemes in our industry, the Money is made from Membership Schemes and Training, of people in the descriptions above.

There have been more people trained as Assessors, than Green Deal energy saving measures paid for under the Scheme. The Money is in Training and Membership, just like Part P, EPC surveys and the widely discredited and failed Home Condition Reports.

The claims of millions of energy saving measures being made under the Green Deal, are when they decide to CLAIM ALL energy saving measures, by including all households with a CFL lamp.

Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.