International Professional Engineer (IntPE)

Chartered Engineers (CEng) who are IET registered can apply for International Professional Engineer (IntPE) professional registration.

Chartered Engineers (CEng) who are IET registered may be eligible to apply for International Professional Engineer (IntPE) professional registration.

Professional registration as an IntPE is intended to enable registrants to gain easier admission to the national registers of IntPE members jurisdictions. Successful applicants will be authorised to use the designatory letters IntPE (UK).

Eligible Chartered Engineers may apply for professional registration as an IntPE.


A registrant  can expect to have minimal scrutiny of their qualifications and professional development when registering with a participating engineering institution. 

The current listing of signatory countries and institutions are as follows:

  • Australia (The Institution of Engineers Australia);
  • Canada (The Canadian Council of Professional Engineers);
  • Chinese Taipei (Chinese Institute of Engineers);
  • Hong Kong China (The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers);
  • India (Institution of Engineers India);
  • Ireland (The Institution of Engineers Ireland);
  • Japan (The Institution of Professional Engineers, Japan);
  • Korea (The Korean Professional Engineers Association);
  • Malaysia (The Board of Engineers Malaysia);
  • New Zealand (The Institution of Professional Engineers New Zealand);
  • South Africa (The Engineering Council of South Africa);
  • Sri Lanka (Institution of Engineers Sri Lanka);
  • United Kingdom (Engineering Council);
  • United States (The US Council for International Engineering Practice).


Applicants must:

  • be registered as a Chartered Engineer through the IET and a member of the IET;
  • hold an accredited degree or equivalent;
  • have seven years post-graduation experience, with two years responsibility for significant engineering works;
  • be actively practicing continuous professional development to an appropriate standard.

Chartered Engineers registered through the following routes are ineligible to apply:

  • Mature candidate route;
  • Career appraisal route;
  • Senior route.

To apply

Applications must be made through the IET. Guidance and application forms are available from the Engineering Council.

International Professional Engineer (IntPE) [new window]


An initial fee of £105, plus £60 every five years to renew the professional registration. At the point of renewal a registrant must be able to demonstrate that they are continuing to undertake work with significant engineering responsibility, and are maintaining their continuing professional development (CPD).

Cheques should be made payable to The Institution of Engineering and Technology.

Application forms must be submitted in duplicate along with the professional registration fee.

Need help?

We will do as much as we can to support you with any aspect of your application, so please get in touch if you need help and advice.


Tel: +44 (0) 1438 767 333
Email: profreg@theiet.org