International qualifications

As an engineer who chooses to work abroad, it’s important to find out which qualifications are recognised internationally.

A diploma graphic International qualifications are important if you decide to work as an engineer overseas. A UK degree is generally recognised globally. However, you may find that your honours degree is considered inferior in some places as a master’s degree is much more common in some countries, such as the USA.

Engineering qualifications

British engineering qualifications are also recognised abroad. There are six international engineering agreements in place that recognise qualifications and competence. Three of these agreements recognise completion of an accredited programme of study two, three or four years in length after secondary school level.

The remaining agreements recognise individual proficiencies of professional engineers, engineering technologists and engineering technicians that meet certain standards in their fields.

If you are coming to the UK and your qualifications were achieved in another country, you may wish to contact National Recognition Information Centre for the United Kingdom (UK NARIC [new window]) who are able to provide information on the equivalency of qualifications and what level they would be considered to be at.

EUR ING, IntPE and IntET

The IET offers three categories of registration for professional engineers who wish to practice within Europe. Find out how to extend the recognition of your professional status following acceptance of CEng or IEng.