We offer a three-stepped fee programme for early career members:
- Final year university student or graduated within the last 12 months - £20
- Graduated between two and four years ago - £60
- Graduated between five and six years ago - £90
You’ll need to provide evidence of your industry knowledge and understanding (through your qualifications and work experience) or ask a supporter to sign your application, confirming that you’re ready to join the IET as a member at this level.
Member of the Institution of Engineering and Technology (MIET)
For our membership category for professional engineers, recognised under EU Directive 2005/36/EC, you’ll need to show you have the following when you apply:
Ideally, you’ll have:
- Pass/Ordinary/Honours Bachelor degree in an appropriate subject (BSc, BTech, BEng (Hons), MEng, MSc, PhD).
We’ll accept these qualifications with a current CV showing your experience working at graduate level:
- Postgraduate diploma, professional qualification or certification
- Other Honours degrees, higher degrees in a relevant subject such as physics or mathematics.
We’ll also accept these qualifications with a current CV showing your work experience (between two to 12 years) and work at graduate level:
- UK Foundation degree in an appropriate subject
- UK NVQ/SVQ at level 4 or 5 in an appropriate subject
- UK HND/HNC in technology
- City and Guilds 236 (electrical installation)
- Electrotechnical Certification Scheme (ESC) Platinum or Black Card.
You should have experience on or as:
- Graduate Training Scheme or Postgraduate research/study for Masters or PhD
- Qualified Teacher (QT), FE or HE lecturer responsible for science, mathematics, IT, engineering, design or technology
- Qualifying supervisor in electrical installation (as defined by ECA, NICEIC, NAPIT, STROMA)
- Trainer – military (non-commissioned) or industrial
- UK government engineer of technologist, grades B, C or D
- Armed Services – commissioned officers, non-commissioned offices at Warrant Officer or equivalent
- IT analyst
- Consultant or self-employed contractor working in graduate levels client-side
- Manager or self-employed contractor responsible for managing budgets, staff, contracts
- Manager, senior manager or director of an SME, or
- Authorised person or inspector with legal responsibility or liability for inspecting and approving safety-critical systems or equipment.
Graduated within the last five years? You might be eligible for IET Advantage – our membership programme for early career engineers.