Dr Carol Marsh, who is Deputy Head of Electronics Engineering at Leonardo based in Scotland, will begin her term on 1 October 2021 to 30 September 2022.
The IET Council is an international body of 28 individuals from across the globe. It is responsible for advising the Board of Trustees on the direction and strategy of the IET, to be the conduit for its members, and monitor the governance of the IET while promoting continuous improvement.
Reflecting on the appointment, Carol said: “It feels really exciting to be elected as the first woman Chair of the IET Council. I am looking forward to collaborating with all of the members both in the UK and around the world to energise and inspire existing engineers, while drawing on their expertise to engage in a new generation of talent.”
Carol graduated with a HND in Electrical and Electronic Engineering from Edinburgh Napier University in 1985 and was awarded a degree of Doctor of Engineering in System Level Integration from the Universities of Glasgow, Edinburgh, Heriot-Watt and Strathclyde in 2011. Carol also becomes the first woman Chair of the Engineering Policy Group Scotland on the 1 October 2021.
She is a member of the Membership and Professional Development Board, the Audit and Risk Process Committee and the Nominations and Succession Committee, a Fellow Assessor, a Professional Registration Advisor and Interviewer. She is also the Past President of the Women’s Engineering Society (WES). Carol is the winner of seven technology and diversity awards and in 2020 Carol was awarded an OBE for Diversity and Inclusion in Electronic Engineering.
David Hogan CEng FIET, retiring Chair, added: “Carol brings a wealth of experience from her time as the Chair of IET Scotland, as well as being a Royal Academy of Engineering Visiting Professor at Edinburgh Napier University. I wish her all the best for the year ahead.”
To find out more about the IET’s Council and governing structure, visit: https://www.theiet.org/about/governance/
Notes to editors:
Carol was elected as an Ordinary Member of Council in October 2020. The IET Council chooses its Chair annually from amongst its members.
About Leonardo in the UK
Leonardo is a global high-technology company which is among the top world players in Aerospace, Defence and Security. The company has been part of the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) since 2010 and has been named as sustainability global leader in the Aerospace & Defence sector for the second year in a row of DJSI in 2020. Many of Leonardo’s engineers are active and dynamic members of the IET.
About the IET
- We inspire, inform and influence the global engineering community to engineer a better world.
- We are a diverse home for engineering and technology intelligence throughout the world. This breadth and depth means we are uniquely placed to help the sector progress society.
- We want to build the profile of engineering and technology to change outdated perceptions and tackle the skills gap. This includes encouraging more women to become engineers and growing the number of engineering apprentices.
- Interview opportunities are available with our spokespeople from a range of engineering and technology disciplines including cyber-security, energy, engineering skills, innovation, manufacturing, technology, transport and diversity in engineering.
- For more information, visit www.theiet.org
- Follow the IET on Twitter.
Media enquiries to:
External Communications Manager
Senior Communications Executive