Organised by EqualEngineers, the Engineering Talent Awards celebrate the diversity and talent of the engineering and technology profession. The 15 category winners were chosen from over 130 nominations from a wide array of engineering organisations, industries and geographical locations.
Floriane, who studies Manufacturing and Mechanical Engineering at the University of Warwick, was announced as the winner on Wednesday 9 September. Commenting on her win, she said: “It really is an honour to have won this award, the competition was extremely tough, and it’s so rewarding to see so many young people working to make the future of STEM brighter.
“If it hadn't of been for the role models I had as a teenager, I would've never had a chance to pursue engineering – so for me, the work I do is to pay it forward and encourage more young people into STEM. I think the work that Dr Mark and Equal Engineers do is excellent, and I cannot wait to see the progress they make in the next few years."
Jo Foster, Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Manager at the IET, added: “We were delighted to support these awards which recognise those organisations and individuals making a difference to EDI within engineering. We’re so pleased for Floriane to be named Student of the Year – she is a fantastic young role model and I know she has a very bright future ahead of her.”
To find out more about the awards, please visit www.engineeringtalentawards.com.
Notes to editors
Full list of Engineering Talent Awards 2020 winners:
- Executive Leader of the Year 2020 - Elena Rodriguez-Falcon, NMITE (New Model Institute for Technology and Engineering)
- Best Innovation of the Year 2020 - Qflow, Brittany Harris, Qualis Flow
- Employee Network of the Year 2020 - OutLinkUK, BAE Systems
- Best Project of the Year 2020 - Together the Best Campaign, UK Power Networks
- Best Recruitment Team of the Year 2020 - Siemens Talent Acquisition Team
- Best Inclusion Programme of the Year 2020 - New Directions, Bournemouth Churches Housing Association
- Small-Medium Enterprise of the Year 2020 - The Fire Surgery
- Large Employer of the Year 2020 - Morson Group
- Best Professional Engineering Institution of the Year 2020 - The Royal Aeronautical Society
- Engineering Returner of the Year 2020 - Ann Stanhope, Dstl
- Chartered Engineer of the Year 2020 - Dr Ozak Esu, Building Research Establishment
- Engineering Student of the Year 2020 - Floriane Fidegnon-Edoh, University of Warwick
- Engineering Graduate of the Year 2020 - Brogan MacDonald, Ramboll
- Engineering Apprentice of the Year 2020 - Rachel Green, Cadent Gas
- Best Engineering Society of the Year 2020 - Handprints e-NABLE Scotland, University of Glasgow
About the IET
- We inspire, inform and influence the global engineering community to engineer a better world.
- We are a diverse home for engineering and technology intelligence throughout the world. This breadth and depth means we are uniquely placed to help the sector progress society.
- We want to build the profile of engineering and technology to change outdated perceptions and tackle the skills gap. This includes encouraging more women to become engineers and growing the number of engineering apprentices.
- Interview opportunities are available with our spokespeople from a range of engineering and technology disciplines including cyber-security, energy, engineering skills, innovation, manufacturing, technology, transport and diversity in engineering.
- For more information, visit www.theiet.org
- Follow the IET on Twitter.
EqualEngineers has established itself as a go-to organisation to support engineering organisations in equality, diversity and inclusion with a speciality on engaging the male-majority. The engineering sector lacks in diversity and inclusion of under-represented groups, which is proven to increase performance, growth and innovation, as well as improve health, safety and wellbeing. EqualEngineers provides a solution to this through training, consultancy, recruitment and events.