As an IET On-Campus Student Volunteer, you are expected to come up with interactive events, initiatives and engaging opportunities for you and your fellow university students to run through your On-Campus group. You will learn what the IET can offer you as an engineer at University and in your career, as well as the opportunity to build relationships and links with your IET Local Network (LN) and Young Professional (YP) group.
You will be a part of the Leadership Committee of your On-Campus group, who are responsible for the organising and delivery of activities that will give you and your fellow students networking and learning opportunities. You will also be responsible for maintaining contact with your Young Professional Community Manager at the IET, informing them of your activities, metrics of events and your succession plan when your time on the Committee comes to an end. You can also reach out to them to ask any queries you may have.
We ask that you use the promotional materials that we supplied you with when you set up the group and at your events. We also encourage you to set up and maintain a Facebook page or other social media platform account – you should use this to share photos and help promote your upcoming events to current and potential group members.
You’ll liaise with your University’s On-Campus Facilitator (a member of University staff who has agreed to advise and support the IET On Campus student group) in order to plan and promote activities for students, utilising their experience, expertise and their position within the university to assist with tasks such as organising room bookings and connecting the IET On Campus student group with industry.
Roles within the Committee
The role of On-Campus Chair is responsible for leading and guiding the OC Leadership Committee to roll out a plan of activity throughout the year, encouraging networking and knowledge sharing between students and IET members at your University.
- Ensure the Leadership Committee operates within the current guidelines laid out by the IET staff team.
- Devise and implement a succession plan to ensure the appropriate balance and number of team members is maintained
Vice-Chair supports the Chair in all aspects of the role, including the preparation of the community plan before implementation and deputising for the Chair as and when required.
- Liaise with the Treasurer to prepare the funding application form for event-by-event funding.
- Deputise for the Chair when they are unable to fulfil their duties.
You’ll be responsible for ensuring that all expenditure is managed through appropriate activities of the On-Campus group and are within the charitable aims of the IET.
- Responsible for the completion and submitting of the funding request form (LINK).
- Adhering to the On-Campus funding process and guidelines and ensuring that the form is sent within the correct period of time for approval.
- Advise the Leadership Committee on all financial matters and provide financial reports and statements as required in order to assist the Leadership Committee to keep expenditure within its requested and accepted funding.
The role of the Secretary is to provide administrative support to facilitate the effective operation of the Leadership Committee and to ensure effective communication among the student volunteers and staff.
- Organise OC Committee team meetings
- Organise and circulate an action list and agenda
- Circulate information received from IET staff to the Committee
There are also plenty of other committee roles that you can take on within your committee such as Events Organiser, PR Manager, Business Development Officer, etc. We encourage that all Leadership Committee members are aware of what each other do so nothing goes amiss if someone is unable to fulfil their duties
If you’re interested in finding out more about the role you can download the PDF below.
To apply for this volunteering role please email firstname.lastname@example.org