The Engineering Policy Group comprises senior members from Scottish industry, academia and professional organizations engaged with Scottish issues. In fulfilling its role EPGS:
- provides via the IET considered answers and steering information to Scottish Executive consultations and other branches of Government
- undertakes pre-emptive identification of issues applicable to Scotland's industry, educational system, social infrastructure and its engineering professionals
- enables the IET to provide independent professional advice to Scotland's government
The policy panel's scope includes:
- economic and political influences on Scotland
- environmental impact of technology relevant to Scotland
- national and international legislation change
- emerging technologies likely to impinge on the Scottish economy
- safety and security issues
- engineering skills, skills attrition, education and recruitment within Scotland.
The Engineering Policy Group Scotland works closely with IET Scotland, which heads a network of regional groups across the country. IET Scotland organises several events, including the IET Scotland annual dinner.