Increase font size
Topic Title: Intergrated downlights or gu10 downlights
Topic Summary:
Created On: 13 February 2018 04:12 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 13 February 2018 04:12 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

NR316

Hello

I was just wondering what people prefer when it comes to downlights, intergrated or gu10?

Thanks

Nr316
 13 February 2018 04:16 PM

dustydazzler

Gu10
 13 February 2018 04:28 PM

NR316

I normally use the intergrated ones but I'm fed up of explaining the extended warranty procedure and most people don't seem to like the idea of replacing the whole fitting instead of just the lamp. So now I'm using led gu10s
 13 February 2018 06:22 PM

ashrow

GU10 LED as to many failures on the intergrated and what happens if the manufacturer changes the design years from now !
 13 February 2018 10:23 PM

sparky308

I like the Aurora Enlite integrated downlights. Not had a single failure, and the light output is considerably better than that of the GU10s. You gets what you pays for.
 14 February 2018 04:07 AM

broadgage

I would favour the GU10 downlights over the integrated ones for the reasons already given of easy DIY lamp replacement rather than needing a new fitting, that probably wont match.

Many ordinary members of the public feel that the integrated fittings are a con-trick by the electrical industry so as to require an expensive call out when they fail, rather than the customer fitting a new "bulb"

I would only install integrated fittings if the customer was certain that they wanted these and understood the risk of expensive failures.
 14 February 2018 11:40 AM

hifly

in the earlier days of led downlights the only way to get a good light output was to use the integrated fittings but now that led gu10's are a lot higher output I don't fit the integrated ones anymore..

-------------------------
Vince

"If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a non-working cat."
http://www.ruttslanecider.co.uk
 14 February 2018 12:26 PM

dustydazzler

THIS ^^^
Back in the day when led lamps first came out most gu10 ones were poor , the output was shocking.
I remember fitting about 40 in a large kitchen and it was so dull i had to change them over to 50w halogen lamps.
but now gu10 leds are much brighter and better, i only fit gu10s and show the homeowner how to change a 'bulb' before i leave.
i stock pile led lamps whenever screwfix or toolstation have them on offer.
just the other week screwfix had gu10 led lamps in clearance for 77p each in store , grabed myself the last 3 boxes
 14 February 2018 04:28 PM

Legh

The only semi-integrated ELV lamps I've fitted are Collingwoods. Very nice and small.

We fitted some very reliable bathroom IP rated down lights with GU10 per lamps. Each lamp cost £22.00, that was eight years ago and I have had no complaints from the client ever since.

Recently, I had to test some lighting circuits with expensive integrated LED fittings. I made sure the installers disconnected them all first before I IR tested the circuits.

IMO I would always install LED GU10s as the quality and intensity is more of less as good as tungsten filament. I wouldn't, however, expect to get 50, 40, 30, 20, or even 10,000 hours use out of them as as the lumen output goes up so does the current, wattage and heat; down goes the length of service.

Legh

-------------------------

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

de-avatared
 14 February 2018 05:00 PM

sparky308

GU10s are still not as bright - best I've found are Megaman professional at 450 lumens warm white. Enlite E6 and E8s are 600 lumens or higher.
 14 February 2018 10:11 PM

Lillpete

I always used to fit gu10's as the manufacturers kept changing the designs.

But for the last year or so I've been fitting enlight E8's, they are so easy to fit (pushfit) they give a really good spread of bright light and are well priced and as Sparky308 said, I must have fitted hundreds of them by now and can't remember a single failure
 15 February 2018 07:51 AM

Fm

We have fitted hundreds of mega man GU10 lamps and find them very good.
The added bonus of when one fails it will be seconds to change it over, which was our consideration for some installs
Also ansell do a 33 watt led downlighter which is also good in replacing some PL fittings
 16 February 2018 08:00 AM

NR316

Thanks for all the responses, always nice to hear other people's opinions.

Thanks

Nr316
 17 February 2018 06:41 PM

unshockable

Originally posted by: Fm

We have fitted hundreds of mega man GU10 lamps and find them very good.

The added bonus of when one fails it will be seconds to change it over, which was our consideration for some installs

Also ansell do a 33 watt led downlighter which is also good in replacing some PL fittings

Gu10 for me. People's expectations have increased so they may well call me back later, years later. The long tail is longer. I understand that led are %16 efficient so in 5 years can't we expect them to be twice as good?

What do others think?

Simon
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2018 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.