Increase font size
Topic Title: Savoy House.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 20 January 2018 04:16 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 20 January 2018 04:16 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Zoomup

Hello All,
does anyone know if Savoy House in London has a cafe for members to use during the day? Also would I be allow in in working clothes?

Thanks,

Z.
 20 January 2018 04:35 PM

leckie

I am sure they will welcome you with open arms zoom.

I can just see it now, you turning up in your toetectors, and high vis coat and asking for a meat pie with chips and gravy!

Only joking Zoom
 20 January 2018 05:13 PM

rocknroll

Originally posted by: Zoomup

Hello All,

does anyone know if Savoy House in London has a cafe for members to use during the day? Also would I be allow in in working clothes?

Thanks,

Z.

Not quite a café as such, it is called the Faraday Kitchen and Brasserie, if you are there carrying out a bit of research the coffee and tea was free in the lounge area, when I used to go there occasionally from the department you had to book a table to eat, breakfast, lunch and tea as it got quite busy, from what I remember if you are a member you got something like 10% discount on meals, still a tad more expensive than greasy spoon prices. LOL and they don't take luncheon vouchers, who remembers those.
Smart casual was the order of the day.

Regards

-------------------------
"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"

Edited: 20 January 2018 at 05:20 PM by rocknroll
 20 January 2018 05:53 PM

John Peckham

Yes.

You will need your membership card so that the staff at the reception area at the entrance to the cafe/library area can give you a pass to enable you to use the members area. Free tea and coffee. They do nice paninis and cakes. If you want a table for lunch you have to book.

John Peckham

http://www.astutetechnicalservices.co.uk/

Edited: 20 January 2018 at 06:59 PM by John Peckham
 20 January 2018 07:14 PM

sparkingchip

When I attended the local tech college studying for the C&G Construction Technicians certificate back in the 1970's one of my fellow students was the son of the local Luncheon Vouchers sales representative.

Every so often he would appear with books of complimentary Luncheon Vouchers to take use all out to lunch. Another of those little treats that have disappeared from life. Though one of the electrical fittings manufacturers' did a promotion with Greggs vouchers packed inside full boxes of fittings, not such fine dining as the Luncheon Vouchers made available.

Andy B.
 20 January 2018 11:25 PM

ectophile

When I went there, the cafe https://savoyplace.theiet.org/...facilities/food-drink/ was a bit pricey and up-market. I had already eaten a takeaway, so I just drank the free coffee.

S P Barker BSc PhD IEng MIET
 20 January 2018 11:25 PM

stateit

Originally posted by: rocknroll
...and they don't take luncheon vouchers, who remembers those...

They ended up becoming Cynthia's pain, didn't they...

S George
http://www.sg-electrical.com
 21 January 2018 07:45 AM

alanblaby

Can you take a guest in with you?
 21 January 2018 08:54 AM

GeoffBlackwell

Try this.

Regards
Geoff Blackwell
 21 January 2018 09:09 AM

rocknroll

I only threw in LV's as a blast from the past, I came across them in 1978 and used to collect shed loads from .gov save them up and entertain at the weekends at a decent restaurant, I think they fizzled out mid eighties.

"They ended up becoming Cynthia's pain, didn't they... "

LOL Cynthias girls certainly got their lunch of meat and two veg alright.

"Can you take a guest in with you?"

I have never been a member of the IEE or IET but attended quite a few breakfast and lunch meetings in the past as a guest although I do belong to a institute that they recognise, if I remember as a student you can have access without being a member or someone undertaking research.

The only association I have with your institution indirectly is with your CEO, he graduated from UMIST as a Civil Engineer the same day I was receiving my second award for Computer Science, although I knew of him we did not mix in the same circles.

Regards

"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 21 January 2018 10:47 AM

Zoomup

Thanks all,
I do have some forest mud on my trousers after walking in the woods in Kent, only one pair as I traveled by train to visit friends so no new clothes with me. I can wash them a bit I suppose. I do have a membership card with me though. Is there any cheap B&B accommodation nearby in London I wonder? 'Spose not being London. I thought that it would be nice to visit Savoy House whilst traveling through.

Bye,

Z.
 21 January 2018 12:43 PM

ectophile

If you do visit, you will see why your membership fees are so high. It is very plush.

S P Barker BSc PhD IEng MIET
 21 January 2018 06:11 PM

sparkingchip

The last time we had a conversation similar to this we ended up in a pub near Chelmsford.
 21 January 2018 07:15 PM

leckie

Blimey, I remember that! That was a few years ago. Shame you don't do that again. The Elex trip at Coventry is the nearest to it, that's good fun at night and has a purpose during the day.
 23 January 2018 09:38 AM

Zoomup

Originally posted by: ectophile

If you do visit, you will see why your membership fees are so high. It is very plush.

Yep ecto,
Savoy Place is very impressive with facilities, decor and atmosphere. I will attend a lecture there today. I am very pleased that I came.

London is certainly very busy, just as I remember it. I like the use of bicycles though. There are hundreds of cyclists.

Everyone here seems to have a cold or cough, it must be due to the aircon.

The instant hot water tap for the tea and coffee station at Savoy Place is a challenge. It took me a few minutes to locate the safety switch at the back of the tap. But with the aid of a torch and magnifying glass I finally was able to read the operating instructions.

Despite that minor problem I am enjoying my visit.

Bye,

Z.

Edited: 23 January 2018 at 09:55 AM by Zoomup
 23 January 2018 02:28 PM

rocknroll

I would have thought their eco friendly responsibly sourced tasteless sausage sandwich with a bit of salad and a lonely grape at 12 pound odd would have paid for the refurbishment by now, LOL , not a patch on the sandwich I used to get from a layby on the 303 that had proper taste and style.

If you want to visit somewhere with a lot of history and architecture try the Reform Club in Pall Mall, a blast from the days when England was not a insignificant island, although a place where membership is required they did have an area which was named the 'Strangers Room' and the prices were very reasonable, you used to get a la carte for around £25/30 unlike all the other places around Savoy Place and Pall Mall where you pay two or three times more, it was a really nice place for working breakfasts and lunches.

Regards

23 January 2018 03:13 PM

Zoomup

Originally posted by: rocknroll

I would have thought their eco friendly responsibly sourced tasteless sausage sandwich with a bit of salad and a lonely grape at 12 pound odd would have paid for the refurbishment by now, LOL , not a patch on the sandwich I used to get from a layby on the 303 that had proper taste and style.

If you want to visit somewhere with a lot of history and architecture try the Reform Club in Pall Mall, a blast from the days when England was not a insignificant island, although a place where membership is required they did have an area which was named the 'Strangers Room' and the prices were very reasonable, you used to get a la carte for around £25/30 unlike all the other places around Savoy Place and Pall Mall where you pay two or three times more, it was a really nice place for working breakfasts and lunches.

Regards

Thanks for the info. I found a place at 143 Strand which serves Indian food. Very good and cheap. Also surprisingly near to Westminster Bridge there is a slot machine arcade, and when I ordered a small soda water at the bar with lime and ice I was told that it was free. Wow.

The I.E.T's cafe is very good though.

On Friday 26th JAN 2018 at 14.00 There is a lecture on the subject of:- Internet of things (IoT) Is not the future, by Rik Ferguson Global Vice President-Security Research, Trend Micro.

I will attend that if I can afford to stay on.

Bye,

Z.
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2018 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.