Increase font size
Topic Title: Daylight Robbery
Topic Summary:
Created On: 13 January 2018 11:52 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 13 January 2018 11:52 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jonny705

A while ago as some may remember I ended up doing about 40 pir's on a caravan site, they had been scammed by many tradesman over the years and had numerous bodges etc.
So now get phoned if any job is needed electrical wise which is a good result.

Well a couple had a faulty RCD and I didn't get the phone call till next day and they had phoned various electricians and one went out on Sunday last week.
£90 call out charge and £75 per half hour is what they quoted - the elderly couple were worried as it was freezing and had no heating - the guy nearly died and was rushed into hospital the day I done their EICR so was really still recovering.

Rcd was a 63a Hager 30mA nothing unusual.
2 men were there for 3 hours and eventually diagnosed faulty RCD and changed it total cost £750.00.

I haven't a clue what an emergency call out charge is TBH, but jeez it cannot be that much can it?

And I hope there is a Hell
 13 January 2018 11:59 AM

dustydazzler

I'm hearing stories like this more and more

There must be literally 100s of unscrupulous trades out there

I live just outside London so rates are very high anyway

I know one local electrical firm who now charge £200 just to turn up if it's outside normal trading hours , then it's £200 per hour after that.
To me that's very steep pricing but they are always busy in the area so customers must be happy paying it
 13 January 2018 05:33 PM

mikejumper

Originally posted by: jonny705
2 men were there for 3 hours and eventually diagnosed faulty RCD and changed it total cost £750.00.

I haven't a clue what an emergency call out charge is TBH, but jeez it cannot be that much can it?

These outfits make their money by taking advantage of people when the opportunity arises, they're unlikely to have regular customers charging rates like that.
 13 January 2018 10:31 PM

stateit

Originally posted by: mikejumper

These outfits make their money by taking advantage of people when the opportunity arises, they're unlikely to have regular customers charging rates like that.

The fact of the matter is you don't need regular customers at that rate. You'll be able to pay for enough advertising to hook new customers...

-------------------------
S George
http://www.sg-electrical.com
 13 January 2018 10:37 PM

dustydazzler

Anyone else up for starting our own 'call out' business

£250 per hour

No job to big or to small
 14 January 2018 10:27 AM

Zs

And here I am doing invoices and wondering whether or not to charge for the whole two hours of a Christmas Eve call out to the toilet lights in the Church Hall and whether to throw the parts in for free.

Hey ho.

Zs
 14 January 2018 12:16 PM

Zoomup

Originally posted by: Zs

And here I am doing invoices and wondering whether or not to charge for the whole two hours of a Christmas Eve call out to the toilet lights in the Church Hall and whether to throw the parts in for free.

Hey ho.

Zs

Definitely charge the church normal rates (no discount), if it is a C of E church then it has plenty of money. As the Bible says: A worker is worthy of their wages".

Happy New Year Zs,

Bye,

Z.
 14 January 2018 12:27 PM

Zoomup

1st Timothy 5:18

Z.
 14 January 2018 05:15 PM

ebee

I dont charge churches any more than anyone else, except for when they try to encourage me to give a discount. Then I charge 25 to 50% extra

Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Knotted cables cause Lumpy Lektrik
 14 January 2018 05:18 PM

davezawadi

Strangely Z that is not exactly what that quotation means, at least not in the way you are suggesting it is used. It means that someone is worthy of fair payment for their work, not whatever they demand!

These prices are simply rip off, wherever in the country they are. TWO men taking 3 HOURS to find a faulty RCD is clearly incompetent in the extreme, I think 5 minutes and one man would be reasonable, plus the genuine travel time. 10 mins to fit the replacement and write out a MWC would be the job done by my company. I bet no cert was issued, and they are in a "white" van! I think Zs and I are still honest, whereas these others are worthy of extreme publicity.

The situation is not helped by the latest BG "scam" where they appear to charge for peace of mind "insurance" (their term) and have an "excess" which more than covers their internal costs of all the jobs they are prepared to carry out. If it is more difficult they simply say that the item is "beyond repair" or condemn it as unsafe. I have asked who is the authorised insurer who backs the scheme but have been unable to get an answer so far, and if there is not one the scheme is simply criminal!

Then there is the idea that they administer calls for local tradesmen for a hefty cut, as a "BG" service using their name and charging regimen. I wonder if anyone has any experience of this?

All this is getting honest tradesmen a bad name, in the name of profits for others, perhaps a case of trading in the temple at rip off prices Zoomup, and remember what happened there?

David
BSc CEng MIET
david@ZawadiSoundAndLighting.co.uk
 14 January 2018 05:29 PM

Legh

Ah ... I remember Timothy.....Drink not water only but take a little wine to aid a dodgy stomach (not likely to be an ulcer then) which will also help with your ongoing illnesses...............

1 Tim 5.23

Legh

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

de-avatared
 14 January 2018 05:34 PM

dustydazzler

'Call out' charges Are fine imo so long as they are extremely clear and set out up front.
X amount per hour or part hour, so customer and contractor know where they both stand.
What I can't stand and is extremely disingenuous is when a contractor start adding on hidden extras or overcharging for a simple 25min job by dragging it out for hours or even worse making recommendations that don't need doing.
 14 January 2018 05:41 PM

jonny705

I charged £30 plus rcd to change the 7 faulty RCD's I found as it took 10 minutes with testing.
I was more concerned about getting it ordered and replaced, as some had really dodgy earthing.

I would do an EICR , then nip round a fit the RCD, in minutes, - I know would not have charged that if I was going for that alone but it would not have been some silly money plus I would get tea and cakes - its longer to drive there.

As for finding the fault - 1 RCD 7 circuits, if you disconnected everything so there was just the RCD left it would take you how long?

I think you would have to be professional scammers to remain and look busy for 3 hours with 2 people. But then, that is where the skill is in these people, they have no conscience about the trusting people they deceive so certainly don't care about hurting the industry they trade in.

I would charge the Church for parts and any travelling costs and give them my labour free, more than likely.
Well I would like to think there is Karma, but who knows
 14 January 2018 11:26 PM

mapj1

well,
£90 call out charge and £75 per half hour is what they quoted .

The call out may be reasonable, depending where they are coming from, but the labour Is the sort of rate that you pay for either some real world class skills, and/or an incredibly anti-social time of day.

If it really took 3 hours to find the RCD was at fault (I wonder if it was, actually) then its certainly not the creme de la creme "A" team is it ?
I can only presume the replacement for the offending part was rushed in by motorcycle courier from a 24 hour agent, and they had to leave their beds at 3AM or something.

Worrying. By all means charge double time at weekends and add £50 on for out of hours response, but for that price I'd have expected the whole board to be changed.

There have always been conmen sadly, and this is a variation on that, thus time the money has gone - but leave them your card, charge honestly, and work will follow.

regards Mike
 15 January 2018 05:42 AM

ebee

Wise words from Map, Davez and others.

Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Knotted cables cause Lumpy Lektrik
 15 January 2018 06:24 AM

davezawadi

It works for my company!

Changing the subject, anyone who lives near Bristol may care to send me an email, as I have an offer which you may not wish to miss for the 27th Jan (evening). This is not for money (certain people may wish to note that this is social), but could be of interest anyway!

Regards

David
BSc CEng MIET
david@ZawadiSoundAndLighting.co.uk
 15 January 2018 04:10 PM

Zoomup

Originally posted by: davezawadi

Strangely Z that is not exactly what that quotation means, at least not in the way you are suggesting it is used. It means that someone is worthy of fair payment for their work, not whatever they demand!

These prices are simply rip off, wherever in the country they are. TWO men taking 3 HOURS to find a faulty RCD is clearly incompetent in the extreme, I think 5 minutes and one man would be reasonable, plus the genuine travel time. 10 mins to fit the replacement and write out a MWC would be the job done by my company. I bet no cert was issued, and they are in a "white" van! I think Zs and I are still honest, whereas these others are worthy of extreme publicity.

The situation is not helped by the latest BG "scam" where they appear to charge for peace of mind "insurance" (their term) and have an "excess" which more than covers their internal costs of all the jobs they are prepared to carry out. If it is more difficult they simply say that the item is "beyond repair" or condemn it as unsafe. I have asked who is the authorised insurer who backs the scheme but have been unable to get an answer so far, and if there is not one the scheme is simply criminal!

Then there is the idea that they administer calls for local tradesmen for a hefty cut, as a "BG" service using their name and charging regimen. I wonder if anyone has any experience of this?

All this is getting honest tradesmen a bad name, in the name of profits for others, perhaps a case of trading in the temple at rip off prices Zoomup, and remember what happened there?

Hello Dave,
I am not suggesting overcharging Dave. I am simply saying that the bible says that workers are worthy of their wages, so Zs should not feel guilty in charging the normal rate for doing work in her local church.

I think that any trading in front of the temple was objectionable to J.C.

Z.
 16 January 2018 11:03 AM

Lillpete

Originally posted by: Zoomup

As the Bible says: A worker is worthy of their wages".

Z.

Funnily enough a year or so back I did a job for a lovely elderly couple where the wife had had a stroke and they needed a exterior stair lift to get from the front door to the car.

I kind of know them and they needed it done quickly so they didn't want a quote they just needed it done!

When input in the invoice they paid me £100 more than I requested saying that very passage!!

It does grate when you're trying to find the money to pay your mortgage or clear the credit card and you hear about people getting away with this
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2018 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.