Increase font size
Topic Title: Insulation Resistance for LV Motors
Topic Summary: Preventative Maintenance
Created On: 28 November 2016 03:02 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 28 November 2016 03:02 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

asmcgeachie

Just wondered everyone's consensus on Insulation Resistance testing relating to LV motors, in particular windings IR testing. Three Phase 415V motor, 500Vdc IR.

A client has advised that they would wish to omit any IR testing during preventative maintenance intervals as it may induce early failures. The motors in question are installed within with Middle East therefore a hot and humid atmosphere.

My view is that IR should remain a vital part of periodic testing as the motors aren't subject to any other condition based online monitoring. In my view early or unexpected motor failure will likely cause burden to plant if it fails in service..

Would welcome any advice if anyone has any experience of omitting motor Insulation resistance and the justification if applicable.

Thanks,
Andy

-------------------------
Andrew McGeachie
 28 November 2016 05:50 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

pradeep_pk

Hi,

I have been working in the Middle East for many years and I fully agree with your view that IR testing should be done while carrying our preventive maintenance of motors. I would prefer to perform this test with the power cable in connected condition first and if the IR value is lower, then disconnect the cable and measure it separately for motor and cable. The interval can be decided based upon the critical nature of the motor.

Regards,

Pradeep
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2018 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.