Increase font size
Topic Title: Minimum Gland thread engagement for Exe Equipment
Topic Summary:
Created On: 22 November 2016 11:45 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 22 November 2016 11:45 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

steven82turner

I have been involved with the installation and inspection of electrical equipment used in or associated with hazardous areas for many years. One thing that I have always been taught during any training that I have undertaken is that, when using Exe equipment there is a minimum thread engagement of 6 mm under this length requires the use of not only an IP washer externally but also the fitment of some form of locking device (such as a lock nut) internally to secure the gland in place amount other reasons. On a recent inspection of a new installation, plastic stuffing glands manufactured by EATON had been used that were suitably certified and correctly selected for the cable size being used. Upon inspection I raised a fault that lock nuts needed to be fitted as the enclosure was only around 4.5 mm in thickness not the required 6 mm that I have always used as the bench mark. Upon review of the documentation it states not only the gland having an IP rating of 66 but also that there is only a requirement for 4 mm thread engagement to achieve this.
I have consulted the latest 60079 series of standards (specifically 0, 7 and 14) and can find no reference to this 6mm engagement. A review of previous standards has round that it seems to have never been mentioned.
I understand that to note this in there installation instructions then the lesser engagement of threads must have been part of the testing involved with the certification of the cable gland. I am waiting on clarification from both the manufacturer and the certification body to confirm this is the case.

My question here is to see if anyone has any background information as to where the 6 mm engagement guidance came from (as per EEMUA's publications) and how this could be successfully deviated from by manufacturers.
 28 November 2016 06:08 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

pradeep_pk

Hi,

As per IEC60079, sealing washers are required to meet the IP rating of the enclosure. However, if the thickness of the enclosure is 6 mm or more, then IP washers are not required. I think, this might be the reason for misconception.

Regards,

Pradeep
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2018 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.