Increase font size
Topic Title: Insulation resistance testing on fluorescent circuits
Topic Summary:
Created On: 21 October 2016 12:10 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 21 October 2016 12:10 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

apecelec

Hi,

I reviewing the testing procedure at the company i am working for, as engineers are filling in all lighting insulation resistance readings as zero. I understand that the ballast causes issues.

I would like to confirm the following as true or myth:

1) A line+Neutral to earth test, gets over the problem with ballast and neons. (what is the reason the ballast pulls the reading down)?

2) By doing the above test should we be getting a >999 reading?

3) Do florescent cause leakage between Earth and Neutral?

4) If the above test gives a low reading, is it best they at least record a live earth reading? b) There should be no reason for any leakage between line and earth?

Thank you very much for your help
 24 October 2016 10:13 PM

jcm256

No I have seen many a garage supply via a 30mA RCD and all the old fluorescents don't trip it, so no usually no leakage.
Your men should not IR test high frequency fluorescents just put on remarks column "Vulnerable to insulation resistance test".
The worst thing you can put on a report is further investigation required without indentifying the circuit or circuits that give a low test.
Please put your post on to the wiring and regulations forum that is where all the experts are, I know they are living amongst spam at the moment but they will find you.
 24 October 2016 10:13 PM

jcm256

No I have seen many a garage supply via a 30mA RCD and all the old fluorescents don't trip it, so no usually no leakage.
Your men should not IR test high frequency fluorescents just put on remarks column "Vulnerable to insulation resistance test".
The worst thing you can put on a report is further investigation required without indentifying the circuit or circuits that give a low test.
Please put your post on to the wiring and regulations forum that is where all the experts are, I know they are living amongst spam at the moment but they will find you.
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2018 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.