Increase font size
Topic Title: HNC electrical engineering project idea
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05 October 2016 01:35 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05 October 2016 01:35 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dannygoulding

Hi, I'm currently on the second year of my HNC in Electrical engineering and need to devise a project, ideally something involved with my work.
Currently I am working on emergency lighting at a gas storage plant and have come up with the idea of upgrading the lighting system on one of the gas storage tanks. On the site I work at, one tank has old lighting and another has had its lighting upgraded, so that will be useful to use as a template.

My premise is that the current state of lighting is poor and much of the emergency lighting is outdated and has failed, with a lot of the components being obsolete, i.e. batteries etc.

My plan is to completely upgrade the system with new and additional emergency light fittings that also work as normal lighting during normal operation. I plan to wire these through an appropriate contactor as the amount of light fittings will mean starting equipment is needed.
Obviously I can also chuck loads of regulations and health and safety legislation into the project to fill it out, as well as the working specification and comparisons between types of light fittings, lamps etc.
I just wonder whether this will show enough engineering knowledge and application for the course??

Any help or other ideas will be greatly appreciated.
 07 October 2016 01:30 PM

johnnmann

"emergency light fittings that also work as normal lighting" are quite common, this is referred to as "maintained" operation. Each luminaire switches into emergency mode when the mains feed fails, I can't see any need for contactors.
 24 October 2016 04:20 PM

Pottsy10

Hi Danny

Sounds like a decent enough idea, what about also producing some lighting calculation for the area using Relux or something similar which is also free ?

I finished my E&E HNC a couple of years back and did a design for a basic bus washing system. With that I included some layout drawings, costing details, a health and safety risk assessment and some basic ladder logic for the PLCs I used.
 24 October 2016 04:21 PM

Pottsy10

Hi Danny

Sounds like a decent enough idea, what about also producing some lighting calculation for the area using Relux or something similar which is also free ?

I finished my E&E HNC a couple of years back and did a design for a basic bus washing system. With that I included some layout drawings, costing details, a health and safety risk assessment and some basic ladder logic for the PLCs I used.
 02 November 2016 08:50 AM

dannygoulding

Ive not used relux. Have downloaded it and seems a bit complicated but will try and give it a go.

I should also mention that the site I plan to install the lighting on is a hazardous area site, so a lot of Atex and Ex legislation will be involved. I'm hoping this will help as it will effect the selection of parts (i.e. JB's, light fittings, switches, glands etc.), and show a bit more application than 'just installing light fittings'.

My one other thought on a project was a digital anemometer (wind speed meter), however I'm not well versed in PIC programming, although we have done a small amount on the course.
My idea was to have a wind speed device at the top of a tank, which is connected to a panel at the bottom of the tank and provides a digital reading of the wind speed, plus a green or red LED illuminating depending on the speed. The green LED would represent a safe wind speed for accessing the top of the tank, and the Red LED indicates a hazardous wind speed, and entry is not allowed.

Any thoughts?
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2018 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.