IET logo
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Metering in Student Accommodation
Topic Summary: TM39 Metering
Created On: 22 March 2013 02:41 PM
Status: Read Only
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 22 March 2013 02:41 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 4
Joined: 01 September 2006

I have been requested to meter a 17 storey student accommodation building to comply with TM39 and Breeam E2.

Each floor will have an MCCB panel feeding 8 Cluster flats (4 beds, lounge, kitchen), Within each cluster flat is a domestic consumer unit for the lighting, Power, kitchenette, etc.
Will a TP meter on the incommer to the MCCB panel for each floor suffice, or do we need to individually meter each flat (there are no requests to charge for electricity in the flats),
Landlords Lighting and Power are metered seperately.
 22 March 2013 10:37 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 675
Joined: 17 January 2012

the last one I was associated with was virtually the same as
this one. as I recall we used single phase supplies. not sure
why you need three phase.
100amps should cope with this situation, as you say, l/l are
metered sep.

let us know more?

 25 March 2013 12:16 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 22488
Joined: 23 March 2004

You'll need to discuss it with the BREEAM assessor effectively. BREEAM lists areas that must be seperately metered and those exceed TM39 and building regs.

I don't know what version of the BREEAM scheme you are working to, but as an example small power and lighting to be separately submetered.
This is a MANDATORY credit and can be difficult to achieve with the cluster arrangement of flats.

If the landlords L&P are already covered, than as a starting point I would suggest that sub metering to each cluster is required with a negotiation on seperating L&P at the flat DB.

You don't mention how HWS is generated but if that's local to the flats then that will require metering as well - ditto for heating. The meters must also be accessible, easy to read and for a building that size, capable of connection to a BMS or MMT system for automatic reading (and potentially alarms).

The BREEAM requirement will dominate the solution, and trust me - we can be really awkward buggers on this issue as it's a minimum standards credit.

For your info, the criteria are below:

1.The following major energy consuming systems (where present) are monitored using either a Building Energy Management System (BEMS) or separate accessible energy sub-meters with a pulsed output to enable future connection to a BEMS:

a.Space Heating
b.Domestic Hot Water
e.Fans (major)
g.Small Power (lighting and small power can be on the same sub-meter where supplies are taken at each floor/department).
h.Other major energy-consuming items where appropriate (see Compliance notes).
2.The end energy consuming use is identifiable to the building user through labelling or data outputs.

As a a minimum, I might just be willing to accept for point "g" that just the cluster DB is metered. If you do every flat off the MCCB panel, then the sum of all the flat meters equates to the MCCB panel meter - so you could omit that one - but it may well be required under Part L depending on the load (<50kW ?)

Speak to the assessor and designer - preferably with the client present - that way there'll be no misunderstanding over the BREEAM and TM39 aspects, requirements and costs - it can be an easy BREEAM win - but it costs money and needs thinking about.



Let the wind blow you, across a big floor.

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2018 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.