IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: 18th edition book purchase from edwardes
Topic Summary: Price to good to be true?
Created On: 12 October 2018 11:26 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12 October 2018 11:26 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

IronFreely

So today I will purchase my BBB and I've found a deal on the Edwardes website.... Its only £78, now this isn't so cheap that I'm sure it's a Chinese knock off but still it's £15 cheaper than all the rest.
Should I steer clear or is it worth the risk?
Has anyone else got theirs from edwardes?

https://www.edwardes.co.uk/en/products/iet-official-18th-2018-edition-wiring-regulations-book?utm_medium=google_shopping&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj83TmtaA3gIVrL_tCh37Lw5lEAQYAyABEgJXmvD_BwE
 12 October 2018 12:45 PM

Farmboy

Why would you even want to ask whether the risk is worth it? Would you want an electrician who worked from a book that may have incorrect e.g. Max Zs values, working in your home? Is the risk of somebody being injured worth £15?

The IET has a list of preferred sellers, so I'd stick with them if I was you. I once bought a GN3 from a non-preferred seller, so learnt my lesson the hit in the pocket way - I won't do that again.

F
PS the link you've given is pushing the edge of the text box under the jobs column, so perhaps you could resize the link.
 12 October 2018 01:10 PM

sparkingchip

I would trust Edwardes, unlike Amazon.
 12 October 2018 01:29 PM

mapj1

I should imagine they pre-ordered a large number having beaten the publishers down to some wholesale discounnt, and are able to pass a fraction of the saving that on. It is how they work for everything else after all.

The paper value of the book is not that high, it is expensive because they don't expect to sell many. Edwardes are not like some unknown outfit on Ebay - you can walk back in and demand your money back.
I'd rather have an Electrician who knew roughly what was or was not right before looking up to be honest, as then they could spot the typos and hopefully could never acccidentally read the line below or column beside and copy blindly.
And don't get too hung up on the second decimal place of Zs and clearing times, as the zero resistance fault is also a concept of pure fiction. (if it did exist, faults would be cold and not hot and sizzly, I have a small museum like collexction of burnt things that testify this is not the case. ) Albeit the assumption used to estimate fault currents is a handy one for quickly checking that faults will disconenct in a sensible time and not never. Some countries regs assume a specific voltage drop accross the fault to allow for this, ours don't.
If a Zs is right on the edge for ADS compliance, the design may not be quite there anyway, though its more serious for breakers where there is a sudden step from 'fires near instantly' to 'takes some seconds' while with a fuse, it may matter less if your fuse that should operatre in half a heartbeat, operates in 0.55 of one.

-------------------------
regards Mike
 12 October 2018 01:36 PM

dustydazzler

Just wait another few months and eBay will be awash with college drop outs etc trying to flog their copies at a fraction of the rrp price

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18th-Edition-IET-Wiring-Regulations-Book-Eighteenth-Edition-Electrician-Regs/253924192654?hash=item3b1f0fb18e:g:mDEAAOSwnqpbu6iP
 12 October 2018 02:07 PM

Zoomup

There may be many unfortunate college non starters Dusty,
considering the desperate pleas by job agencies for immediate
start lecturers needed to cover electrical installation and
regs. courses now. Hundreds nationally with no lecturers.

Z.
 12 October 2018 04:53 PM

Fitzy71

Now this is just my own opinion guys, so please don't shoot me.....

I don't understand why people in business try to save money on items which are vital to their business, especially us electricians. The BS7671 regulations is supposedly our bible, so is vital to our way of SAFE working. So why do some of us moan & gripe about the cost of the big yellow/blue book, average price approx £80? The cost of such written materials are FULLY tax deductible as they are a main requirement of our jobs, you get the FULL cost back and pay NO tax on said materials costs.
 12 October 2018 04:59 PM

sparkingchip

The initial surge of sales is over. Early uptakers have
their copies of the books and may well have the new
qualification as well. The remaining customers are not
going to part with their hard earnt so easily.

Andy B.
 12 October 2018 05:01 PM

sparkingchip

And the wholesalers don't want to get left with old stock when the first amendment
is published or have too much money tied up in stock for too long.

Andy B.
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2018 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.