Topic Title: 18th edition test papers
Topic Summary: Exam coming up
Created On: 10 October 2018 01:41 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10 October 2018 01:41 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

IronFreely

Hi there good people of the forum.

Just like everyone else I've got to get the 18th under my belt sooner rather than later... I've got a course booked in November, apparently the guild has advised anyone who qualified on the 17th before 2015 that they should attend a course rather than just going in for the "major changes" session before the exam... because I'm the sort of person to prepare and also the sort of person to worry I'd really like to hit the books myself before going in the course because I like a nice gentle pace of learning..

I know a few of you on here teach and I would greatly appreciate it if someone could provide me with a few past exam papers to practice on (preferably with the correct answers at the end). If that's not possible if anyone knows of any free online reasorces that are worth looking at I'd appreciate a link to them.

Thanks in advance.
 10 October 2018 02:08 PM

Farmboy

Hi

See what you make of this:

http://www.sparkyfacts.co.uk/1...on-exam-simulator.php

I've done quite a few of the questions, and note that the odd answer can be a bit ropey e.g. they put a unit in ohms when it should be kilohohms, the odd words are mis-spelt and they don't seem to apply Cmin on some of the Zs values (so ensure you learn what's in the regs book rather than the answers given on the site). However, it's good practice for time pressure - answering questions within the allotted time.

F
 10 October 2018 08:49 PM

chrispearson

Originally posted by: IronFreely

... I would greatly appreciate it if someone could provide me with a few past exam papers to practice on ...

There are none for the simple reason that there have been no previous sittings. However, most of the questions will be the same as for 17th Edn, so why not practice with some of them?
 11 October 2018 08:59 AM

dgmeica

I'd take the simulator with a pinch of salt - I have run through it a dozen times without opening a book and passed every one (bear in mind I haven't used the BYB in anger in nearly 3 years and the BBB hasn't come out of the wrapper yet). Either the sim has a very optimistic difficulty level or the exam is nothing to worry about? (I'd assume the former)

Has anyone who has sat the exam used the simulator? - thoughts?
 11 October 2018 01:22 PM

Farmboy

Originally posted by: dgmeica

I'd take the simulator with a pinch of salt - I have run through it a dozen times without opening a book and passed every one...

I am astounded. The difficulty of the questions aside, many of the questions/answers relate to e.g. specific IP values in Special Locations, rating factors for temperature/grouping, and Zs values for OCPD's. For anyone to answer all these correctly without reference to the book, is imho, a remarkable achievement. I can't rote learn e.g. Table 4B1, let alone all the others in the book. Incredible.
 11 October 2018 01:59 PM

mapj1

I'm inclined to agree with Farmboy, your memory must work differntly to mine too (For laugh I've just got about 75% on the simulator with no book to assist, and indeed it is the things like the grouping and insulation derating factors that are not able to be recalled, and I slipped on volt drop calc. from 7V to 6V - but my mental method is only really for checking if a it is worth looking at more closely, to save time on designs that are 'in by miles' )
I guess it depends how your mind works, some key ratings 27A/ 37A /47A for 2.5mm/ 4mm/ 6mm flex or T and E when in fresh air have a sort of memorable ring to them, others like the rating of 1.5mm2 micc, dont, for me at least.

-------------------------
regards Mike
 11 October 2018 05:48 PM

IronFreely

Did that a few times and I seem to be able to get most questions without reference to the book... I was hoping to see a genuine past paper if I could but I guess beggars can't be choosers.

I haven't yet acquired a copy of the BBB yet so I used my trusty yellow one to answer the questions on current carrying capacity and Zs. Can I ask has any of the current carrying capacities or Zs values been updated in the blue book because if not there's a few dodgy questions there (or I'm a complete idiot)? one question asked me to identify what cross sectional area of mineral insulated, thermoplastic covered, light duty cable would apply to the following... The current carrying capacity has been identified as 22A, on perforated tray, 3 single core cables installed flat spaced by two cable diameters...
I selected 1mm from table 4G1A which was the closest fit as none on the table were in fact 22A nor does the table give capacities for two cable diameters spacing and 1mm would carry 23A with one space, any way I got the question wrong, so I'm scratching my head and wondering if it's just a bum question or maybe I'm the bum?

I also noted that not a single Zs value was the same as in my book (even if I applied the 80% rule). I then read the posts on here and noted a comment regarding Cmin, so I might try it again with the tables in the green book and see what I get...

This test seemed to be heavy on the special locations questions
If anyone does have a cheeky past paper, I'm just wondering if the real exam will focus on some of the changes in the new edition, I'm also interested to see how the questions are worded because I'm quite dyslexic and being prepared for phrasing helps me focus on the actual questions rather than the language.

Still it's good to know I can answer a good 80% of that without even looking in the book.
 11 October 2018 05:54 PM

daveparry1

I got 35/39 so I failed but that was without any revision at all so i'm sure I could do ok if I revised a little bit!
 11 October 2018 05:56 PM

IronFreely

Out of 39? The quiz seems to be out of 60....
 11 October 2018 06:21 PM

daveparry1

Perhaps I did only answer 39 then, i'll give it another go!
 12 October 2018 08:53 AM

dgmeica

I may have been fortunate with questions, and some lucky guesses. I can't remember current ratings, grouping factors etc either (I struggle to remember what I had for breakfast today) but I suppose some of the fundamentals must have sunk in over the years......

I am just interested to see how representative the simulation is of the actual exam?
 12 October 2018 11:10 AM

davezawadi

I just tried that out and found a couple of interesting things:
Even I, who just spent two days suggesting one reads the question carefully, got 3 wrong because I had not read the question properly!
Several of the questions are somewhat dubious as they have more than one sensible answer, found in the BBB, which applies, as the context is not defined enough. One I tried has the wrong answer, so you can take a little comfort from that!

This is probably as reliable as the real exam, and OK for practice, but experience says that the most important thing is to be really used to the BBB, the index, and places where the more obscure information may be found. I spent only 30 minutes to do the 60 questions, but hopefully one would expect that as I am doing the training! I passed very satisfactorily, but did not look up any but the tables questions, and doing the real thing one MUST spend all the available time checking the answers against the BBB if there is any spare time.

No one has yet achieved 100% to my knowledge, and the few who fail find it impossible to look up enough answers. Time management is crucial, and only 2 minutes maximum must ever be allowed on the first pass through, and preferably even less. Then go back an do the hard ones. There are not many who just pass or just fail, both states are unusual and fails are usually 40% or less and passes 70% or more, and those who fail can usually be identified by the practice questions during classes. Please do some reading of the BBB before you attempt the training (or at least the BYB), it will pay dividends!

I have no idea about the other courses (mine is 1 day including the exam), and so far the students are very satisfied with the content from each of the trainers. Do make use of questions on anything which is not clear, you might catch someone out! Have fun...

David
BSc CEng MIET
david@ZawadiSoundAndLighting.co.uk
 12 October 2018 11:18 AM

davezawadi

One other point, there are no past papers because the exam is entirely computer based, and every student may get entirely different questions. The simulator appears to be OK, but everyone recons the 18th is harder than the 17th, so be warned. You need to be pretty good to get answers to all the questions in much less than the 2 hours, and if you stay you will also get the likely final result (which saves the "waiting" period).

David
BSc CEng MIET
 12 October 2018 11:20 AM

IronFreely

Thanks Dave, good exam advice there. Is it ok to ask who you do the training for, are you with the IET or a private training center perhaps?
 13 October 2018 11:47 AM

davezawadi

I am one of the 4 Stroma trainers although not directly employed by them, I generally cover the SW bit of the country. It is in the interests of the industry that as many as possible of the electricians (some of whom may not belong to a club) get the latest qualification, and have every chance of passing the exam. Many say it is more difficult than the 17th was, perhaps because there are a large range of possible questions and to make enough it has been necessary to include the more obscure bits of the BBB. I publicise the IET forum as widely as possible in classes, because it is probably the best online resource available for quality electrical advice.

Changing the subject slightly, I am interested in starting a 2391 course to the latest syllabus, which would aim to get a high pass rate. This may not be easy as this exam has always been notorious for poor pass rates in colleges, possibly because it is of a considerably higher level than apprentice courses and needs a considerable experience background and an ability to answer questions in a written exam.

David
BSc CEng MIET
 13 October 2018 03:50 PM

Farmboy

Just a quick heads up for anyone still to do the exam - while having a go at the simulator and scratching about for answer in the regs book, it became apparent that sections 532, 533, 553 and 554 are missing from the Part 5 Contents page, and Table 55.3 is missing from the Table of tables (page 523); so a few marks in the relevant places to indicate their presence may prove useful. Note, however, that according to the C&G's, conveyed by the NICEIC, only marks of lines and circles can appear in the book used for the exam.

F
 13 October 2018 05:09 PM

Weirdbeard2

Originally posted by: Farmboy

Note, however, that according to the C&G's, conveyed by the NICEIC, only marks of lines and circles can appear in the book used for the exam.

01010100 01101000 01100001 01101110 01101011 01110011
 13 October 2018 05:28 PM

Farmboy

Originally posted by: Weirdbeard2

Originally posted by: Farmboy

Note, however, that according to the C&G's, conveyed by the NICEIC, only marks of lines and circles can appear in the book used for the exam.

01010100 01101000 01100001 01101110 01101011 01110011

Apparently, lines and circles denoting letters and numbers don't comply unfortunately - I asked.
 13 October 2018 07:15 PM

Dave69

Well here are a few of questions from a sample paper I was given (after I had taken the exam). I can type some more out if people are really interested. I

On the DC side of a PV system what is the preferred protection provision against fault
Class II protection
Elecrrical seperation
A non-conducting location
Equipontential bonding

What is the changeover time for an automatic safety circuit as short break
0.5 S
0.8 S
5 S
15 S

Which identifies the ability of a protective device to another protective device in series
Selectivity
Emergency switching
Fault protection
Isolation
 13 October 2018 08:18 PM

mapj1

binary to ascii text website

regards Mike
IET » Wiring and the regulations » 18th edition test papers

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2018 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.