Increase font size
Topic Title: What are your thoughts on this diy install
Topic Summary: Short vid
Created On: 09 October 2018 05:12 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09 October 2018 05:12 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dustydazzler

Basically this video
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XjooZaVJSUs
was posted on another electrician forums.
The diy install in the vid was mocked by the forum members as being poor workmanship.

I know it's not the neatest job in the world but I personally have seen far worse installed by 'electricians'

I couldn't really fault his diy wiring efforts , it wasn't terrible

Thoughts ??
 09 October 2018 05:43 PM

Legh

Not the standard prescribed methods.of termination and testing but, as Dusty states, not as bad as some I've seen.

I'm more worried about the double standards portrayed by the Consumer Unit manufacturer.

'Non-trained personel or if not sure what you're doing consult a qualifies electrician.'....!

Do Electricians really need an instruction sheet on how to install a CCU?

Maybe the new breed of electrician does?

Legh

-------------------------

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

de-avatared
 09 October 2018 05:43 PM

mapj1

Not sure about the SWA armour make-off, but then maybe the yellow core is the main CPC, depends on what is at the other end. I'd be happier to see a neater combing of the armour and a spanner to tighten and a nice star washer or pirahna.
Some of the comments suggesting he should have a banjo have missed the point of a metal box somewhat; what you really need to do though is break the paint. And it would have been nice to see a meter at least a quick R2 test at some stage prior to firing up.

Odd use of stuffing glands and a choice of mixing clips and cable ties is certainly scruffy, and the cable route just looks ugly, as he is re-using the old knock out holes, but is it dangerous in that location, as some of the comments suggest, I reckon probably not very. He should get a proper light fitting though, the core insulation on the T and E will slowly melt back from the lamp holder

Cartainly I have got involved in fixing installations that include things far worse than this, supposedly put in by folks who knew better, some involving SWA glands that had never been tightened as far as I could tell and clearly were the only CPC.

regards Mike
 09 October 2018 07:55 PM

sparkingchip

I must stop clicking these YouTube links, they are getting repetitive, I have seen that before and I'm sure it was on this forum.

I seem to remember the decision was that it was probably a pointless exercise if the original installation was already RCD protected and it would have been better untouched.

Andy B.
 09 October 2018 08:33 PM

Zoomup

I do not like D.I.Yers producing tutorials when they are not fully skilled in the work. And referring to the bus-bar as connecting the "main fuse to the other fuses" really annoys me when referring to the R.C.D. being connected to the two M.C.B.s. Students may be led astray by such tutorials and other D.I.Yers may imitate the poor work or ideas. I wonder why the bus-bar is left rattling around in the garage unit and is not fitted in the factory?

Z.
 09 October 2018 09:32 PM

sparkingchip

Someone who doesn't know what they are doing producing an educational video.

In the past this type of practice was referred to as the blind leading the blind., though I'm not sure if that is a politically correct comment or not these days.
 09 October 2018 09:42 PM

Dave69

The H & S side is far more interesting. A lovely angle for his ladder, burrs on the head of the chisel, incorrect type of hammer used for hitting a chisel and I guess he used his plug in socket tester to prove it was dead.

The installation all worked so it must be ok huh.

Only thing that winds me up is no sign of any grommets between the two metal boxes, other than that a top notch job, we all know red is live, blue is neutral and yellow earth and the big bang way of testing is the best.

Really does make me wonder why I wasted all that money taking the 18th edition exam
 10 October 2018 11:54 AM

dustydazzler

Thoughts on this beauty , they couldn't even be ***** to tighten a screw....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij3jDdGKbfg
 10 October 2018 02:08 PM

IronFreely

i generally like MK units but those garage units really P**** me off! Actually most garage units are just not quite right because they dont have any rear cable entry knockouts. Recently I had to drill my own in the back because it was going to ruin the look of a lovely wooden cabin to bring cable in the top or bottom...
 11 October 2018 07:57 AM

tomgunn

No banjos, no grommets between sw'd spur and DSO... oh dear!

regards...

Tom.... (The TERMINATOR).

handyTRADESMAN

Castle Builders
 11 October 2018 08:37 AM

mapj1

Would you fit a wire tail then? If not, I'm not clear in what way would a banjo on a metal box help, unless you kinked it first to make a crude wavey anti-shake washer ? - a star washer or pirahna nut would be more sure of removing the paint. I know some folk fit the banjo 'cos ther is one in the bag, but I've only really found them useful when there is a need for attatching a tail wire, with a metal box I'd rather get to the box metal direct.

regards Mike
 11 October 2018 08:42 AM

dustydazzler

I usually always use a banjo and flying lead , as this is how I was taught.

However , back to my college days the old lectures would recommend sanding down the paint all around the hole and so long as the gland made a nice tight contact to the now unpainted metal surface they were happy with this method.

Ultimately Fitting a bolt and banjo is probably faster than spending 15 mins with a tiny file removing layers of paint
 11 October 2018 08:55 AM

mapj1

Ah - OK, so with a tail on painted metal makes sense. Its funny how fashions have changed slightly over the years, usually towards labour saving, but not always. What I have seen sometimes and could not see the point of was a banjo flat against the box without a tail. And I think my experiances of machinary designs for vehicular use have maybe made me more paranoid than most about star washers and other shake-resistant methods.

regards Mike
 11 October 2018 09:04 AM

dustydazzler

As you say , much is about speed / ease / fashion .

Drilling a 6mm hole a popping in a bolt takes seconds, rubbing off paint takes a bit of skill and extra time.

Be interesting to see how other countries tie their cable / containment to the boxes
 11 October 2018 11:22 AM

potential

I noticed how close the unit is fixed to the corner.
Typical right-handed work with no consideration for left-handed people.
 11 October 2018 12:08 PM

mapj1

Be interesting to see how other countries tie their cable / containment to the boxes

well, in Germany at least, it seems the only places with SWA are one built by the Brits...
I'd expect the harder jacketed but not wire armoured of the NY family.
If it had to be shieded then this stuff nycy but far more commonly no wire armour, however, if so then the gland would be insulating like stuffign gland, and the sheilding strands would be combed and taken to a termination block, much as the DNO like to terminate earthed concentic.

regards Mike
 11 October 2018 09:41 PM

chrispearson

Originally posted by: dustydazzler

I usually always use a banjo and flying lead , as this is how I was taught.

However, back to my college days the old lectures would recommend sanding down the paint all around the hole and so long as the gland made a nice tight contact to the now unpainted metal surface they were happy with this method.

Well, what's required is a good electrical contact. I find a penknife is fine for scraping off the paint, but then I have to sharpen it afterwards.
 12 October 2018 10:32 AM

tomgunn

Originally posted by: mapj1

Would you fit a wire tail then? If not, I'm not clear in what way would a banjo on a metal box help, unless you kinked it first to make a crude wavey anti-shake washer ? - a star washer or pirahna nut would be more sure of removing the paint. I know some folk fit the banjo 'cos ther is one in the bag, but I've only really found them useful when there is a need for attatching a tail wire, with a metal box I'd rather get to the box metal direct.

I always fit a banjo. I was thinking about this, sadly - haha, on the train - yesterday, that I should have mentioned about removing some paint from th metal - yes, fit a fly lead if you think that's a good idea but I like to know that I'm picking up, along with the actual gland, a good an earth as possible!

Why would they waste money honey by putting a banjo in the bags? There's a reason and I like to use them... could be wrong, but it's just a better instal.

Cheers me dear!

Tom.... (The TERMINATOR).

handyTRADESMAN

Castle Builders
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2018 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.