Increase font size
Topic Title: Requirements for EM lighting
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11 July 2018 10:15 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11 July 2018 10:15 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

SparkyAds

Just want to clarify as I've recently qualified, just been sent a plan of the locations for EM lighting in a school, all of the electrical rooms throughout the building have no coverage, I'm sure they should have?! Is there any regulation or anything to support me?
 11 July 2018 10:53 AM

Delbot321

The regs are BS5266:1 and you are correct that plant rooms require emergency lighting usually to 15 lux. It sits in the same requirements as BS7671 (Wiring Regs) and BS5839 (Fire Alarms) in that if a client wants to demonstrate, in the eyes of the law, that they have done everything reasonable then they need to meet the BS. They usually need to meet these as part of their insurance requirements.

There is always a possibility to "risk assess" situations and negate the need for emergency lighting but I can't see it being the case here.
 11 July 2018 11:53 AM

lyledunn

Not sure what your level of responsibility is Sparky, but it could be nothing more than an error by the consultant. I don't design much nowadays but there is nothing as bad as as a flag waving spark telling all and sundry that the designer is a clod.
I made many errors, some I should have been shot for, but I always appreciated a call from a contractor with a decent, level- headed approach.

-------------------------
Regards,

Lyle Dunn
 11 July 2018 05:27 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

sparkingchip

Something along the line of a memo asking if EM lighting should be considered in the electrical rooms to allow access to reset tripped devices or safe evacuation, without making a meal out of it.

Andy B.
 11 July 2018 06:17 PM

OMS

The requirements will be in BS 5266-1: 2016 - Code of Practice for the Emergency Lighting of Premises

Switchrooms are covered in Section 5.2.8.6 - this relates to Illumination for safe escape - Emergency escape lighting.

Have you visited the school yet - it might just be the case that they have emergency lighting in the switchrooms etc - and this scheme is providing additional emergency lighting of escape routes as the premises is now intended to be used outside of normal school hours (main hall and escape routes from there as an example)

regards

OMS

-------------------------
Let the wind blow you, across a big floor.
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2018 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.