Topic Title: The rise and rise of the youtube sparky
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11 June 2018 07:55 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12 June 2018 11:23 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

ebee

"It's much quicker to put 2 bends on a bit of stiff wire coat hanger etc, the first bend is the radius of the down light hole + minimum clearance, then stick through centre hole and rotate to check for obstructions, the second bend should be in the same direction as the first so you can turn the wire and it points to exactly where the obstruction is. "

Nice one Weirdbeard I like it

-------------------------
Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Knotted cables cause Lumpy Lektrik
 12 June 2018 11:25 AM

ebee

Originally posted by: mapj1

Hmm. I wonder how much the customer agrees to having their life and home being broadcast in this way - the location and people could easily be identified in some of these.

I hope they do always obtain formal permission, or they lay themselves open to big trouble.

Spot on that comment

-------------------------
Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Knotted cables cause Lumpy Lektrik
 12 June 2018 04:22 PM

sparkingchip

A few weeks ago an electrician I was standing by in the local wholesalers was asked for a job reference when booking materials out, to which he replied that he had had to sign a non disclosure agreement to work for the customer and said just put **********, being the name of the village.

Oh! I said you are working at ****** ********* house, which raised the response how do you know that? Easy, I'm working next door was my reply.

I'm actually very wary of posting photos that are generally accessible on the internet, as I am of websites where people can "rate" you, many years ago one of my customers who was the manager of a national franchise company said keep off them as it only takes one idiot to create all sorts of problems for you. As Wetherspoons said earlier this year, social media can just be a waste of time and cause more issues than it's worth.
 12 June 2018 05:08 PM

sparkingchip

If you want to try a game of YouTube one upmanship in amongst the people I have met through work, then sat in their home and had afternoon tea with was this gentlemen.
 12 June 2018 08:25 PM

Weirdbeard2

Originally posted by: ebee

"It's much quicker to put 2 bends on a bit of stiff wire coat hanger etc, the first bend is the radius of the down light hole + minimum clearance, then stick through centre hole and rotate to check for obstructions, the second bend should be in the same direction as the first so you can turn the wire and it points to exactly where the obstruction is. "

Nice one Weirdbeard I like it

Cheers Ebee, it's been a few years since I last got the coat hanger out of the tool box for downlights, I should think these days everyone uses mobile thermal imaging telephone cameras to find joists/battens/pipes/thermal insulation etc?
 12 June 2018 08:28 PM

Blencathra

Still got a coat hanger in my kit, getting hard to find now, most wardrobes used to have a couple of spares in them
 12 June 2018 11:36 PM

dustydazzler

Ahh , the old bent over wire coat hanger to fish a cable out from a void

Don't teach you that trick at sparky school

Check out 'bokke' on YouTube , another have a go youtube sparky
IET » Wiring and the regulations » The rise and rise of the youtube sparky

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2018 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.