Topic Title: The rise and rise of the youtube sparky
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11 June 2018 07:55 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11 June 2018 07:55 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dustydazzler

I made a post a couple months back when I noticed more and more sparks are posting videos of themselves working ,

I recently found another chap on YouTube called 'delroy the sparks'

One for the old school among us , I really enjoyed watching his laid back approach. Not all pretentious and 'look how good I am' like some sparks
 11 June 2018 10:18 AM

Zoomup

I shall search for his posts Dusty. He sounds interesting. I couldn't be the You tube London electrician who struggles to find parking spaces when working there.

Z.
 11 June 2018 10:39 AM

Zoomup

Look out for wall lintels when drilling for a fan extract.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blzi2z5mnlk

Z.
 11 June 2018 10:47 AM

Zoomup

Note to apprentices. It is best NOT to use heavy black markers on walls or ceilings in case it shows through even after decorating, light pencil or light chalk lines are safer. Also regarding the recessed ceiling lights, I normally probe through and above the ceiling plasterboard with a small diameter but long terminal screwdriver first to see if my new hole will be under a joist. I probe to the full diameter of the new proposed hole BEFORE drilling it. I probe at the 12 o'clock position and at 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions as well. That way you are not going to drill a hole in the wrong place next to or below a wooden joist so that your new light is impossible to fit.

Z.

Edited: 11 June 2018 at 10:54 AM by Zoomup
 11 June 2018 12:03 PM

dustydazzler

I love that episode when the polish labourer realises he F'd up by hitting the steel lintel at the first attemp at drilling the hole

And when they say 'shall we measure the lights or just eyeball it'

What could go wrong
 11 June 2018 03:59 PM

alancapon

Hopefully they offer a substantial discount as they are only spending part of their time doing work for the customer . . .

Regards,a

Alan.
 11 June 2018 04:14 PM

dustydazzler

Originally posted by: alancapon

Hopefully they offer a substantial discount as they are only spending part of their time doing work for the customer . . .

Regards,a

Alan.

Shower room is probably on a price. I used to do a lot of bathrooms for a local company around 8 or 9 years ago. My price for a core drilled 4inch fan supply and fit back then was £90 all in. They said this was extortion. So I said well get your polish bloke to cut me the hole and I will supply and fit the fan for £60. Probably did 40 bathroom jobs on this arrangement.
 11 June 2018 04:20 PM

alancapon

Price or not, it is still making the job take longer than it should. If you are going to work, then that is what you should be doing, not pratting around with a video camera.

Regards,

Alan.
 11 June 2018 04:25 PM

dustydazzler

Welcome to the new age ,

If you notice it's not actually delroy holding the camera it's his sons pet project of filming his dad at work

Heck I know people where I work now part time where the youngsters film everything they are doing for the vlog Page , even down to making the tea

Very alien to me but to them having a camera phone on them 7 hour a day just seems second nature

That being said I wish I had a camera phone when me and my dad did jobs together, would be nice to look back and have a laugh

Some good times were had on site
 11 June 2018 04:32 PM

Zoomup

I was a bit shocked with the Delroy video when he was fault finding on a ring final in a kitchen. He opened the low level consumer unit by removing the cover then he walked about testing stuff. The home owner's little boy was walking about unattended for a while and could have investigated the dangerous live consumer unit. Hopefully, but it was not clearly shown, Delroy's boy was keeping a sharp eye out. But I must confess that Delroy was very quick in finding the fault, within an hour.

Z.
 11 June 2018 04:45 PM

dustydazzler

Originally posted by: Zoomup

I was a bit shocked with the Delroy video when he was fault finding on a ring final in a kitchen. He opened the low level consumer unit by removing the cover then he walked about testing stuff. The home owner's little boy was walking about unattended for a while and could have investigated the dangerous live consumer unit. Hopefully, but it was not clearly shown, Delroy's boy was keeping a sharp eye out. But I must confess that Delroy was very quick in finding the fault, within an hour.

Z.

Don't panic zoom. He is an niceic approved contractor (seriously)
 11 June 2018 04:58 PM

mapj1

Hmm. I wonder how much the customer agrees to having their life and home being broadcast in this way - the location and people could easily be identified in some of these.
I hope they do always obtain formal permission, or they lay themselves open to big trouble.

-------------------------
regards Mike
 11 June 2018 04:59 PM

dustydazzler

Despite delroys short comings from a H&S point of view , I quite enjoy his videos

Something rather old school and nostalgic about the fella I can't help but like

Reminds me very much of a guy I worked with when I was a trainee , calm and collected and always willing to show you how to do something
 11 June 2018 05:40 PM

Weirdbeard2

Note to apprentices. It is best NOT to use heavy black markers on walls or ceilings in case it shows through even after decorating, light pencil or light chalk lines are safer. Also regarding the recessed ceiling lights, I normally probe through and above the ceiling plasterboard with a small diameter but long terminal screwdriver first to see if my new hole will be under a joist. I probe to the full diameter of the new proposed hole BEFORE drilling it. I probe at the 12 o'clock position and at 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions as well. That way you are not going to drill a hole in the wrong place next to or below a wooden joist so that your new light is impossible to fit.

It's much quicker to put 2 bends on a bit of stiff wire coat hanger etc, the first bend is the radius of the down light hole + minimum clearance, then stick through centre hole and rotate to check for obstructions, the second bend should be in the same direction as the first so you can turn the wire and it points to exactly where the obstruction is.
 11 June 2018 06:03 PM

sparkingchip

Price or not, it is still making the job take longer than it should. If you are going to work, then that is what you should be doing, not pratting around with a video camera.

Regards,

Alan.

Now it it was a video of an electrician performing a daring deed, such as rescuing a cat from a great height in the style of a Phillip Schofield, it may get millions of hits!
 11 June 2018 06:42 PM

Zoomup

Originally posted by: Weirdbeard2

It's much quicker to put 2 bends on a bit of stiff wire coat hanger etc, the first bend is the radius of the down light hole + minimum clearance, then stick through centre hole and rotate to check for obstructions, the second bend should be in the same direction as the first so you can turn the wire and it points to exactly where the obstruction is.

and if it gets tangled up in thermal insulation and won't rotate freely?

Z.
 11 June 2018 06:51 PM

Weirdbeard2

Originally posted by: Weirdbeard2

and if it gets tangled up in thermal insulation and won't rotate freely?

Then you will know there is thermal insulation, and if it's not an accessible roof space where you can deal with the insulation, go with surface mounted fittings.
 11 June 2018 09:13 PM

alancapon

Originally posted by: sparkingchip
Now it it was a video of an electrician performing a daring deed, such as rescuing a cat from a great height in the style of a Phillip Schofield, it may get millions of hits!

You mean like this story Cat Rescue which I am (almost) embarrassed to admit to!

Regards,

Alan.
 11 June 2018 10:23 PM

sparkingchip

Definitely Silver Fox potential.
 12 June 2018 11:22 AM

ebee

Originally posted by: sparkingchip

You mean like this story Cat Rescue which I am (almost) embarrassed to admit to!

Regards,

Alan.

I remember that one Alan, this forum gave you a standing ovation

-------------------------
Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Knotted cables cause Lumpy Lektrik
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2018 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.