Increase font size
Topic Title: Attempted Abstraction or innocent works
Topic Summary:
Created On: 16 May 2018 03:10 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 16 May 2018 03:10 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

chrisbradley

Moderator note: due to an administrative error, this thread was incorrectly removed from the forum. Apologies to all concerned - it has been reproduced below and restored for viewing.

Edited: 16 May 2018 at 03:46 PM by chrisbradley
 16 May 2018 03:11 PM

Digiboy

Evening folks,

Wondering if I could get some opinion on something I've seen this weekend.

Noticed a couple of blokes digging a trench on a residential street (Sat mid-morning/afternoon, Northwest London) It caught my attention as their van was unmarked, quite old (circa 2008 ish). No 'working on behalf of .....' Signage either. Also no visible trench permit notice.

So this got me intrigued. The trench has revealed what looks like the street sides power, a catv tube and also the feed to a lamp post.

They have also gunned out a line with a spade bit from the trench up to the lamp post.

I've got pics that I can share later if worthwhile, but my main question would be - does this sound a legit operation to you guys?

I should point out that the trench was left protected with footpath closed notice, but no actual work has been carried out other than digging.

I would have expected any work on street power/lighting to be done very much by the book (permits, approved contractors, signage etc)

Thoughts appreciated
John
 16 May 2018 03:28 PM

kellyselectric

Sounds like a scam going on I saw something on tv a while ago about bloke who offers free electric by simply tapping into a mains cable in the street then feeding into a premises then connecting most loads to it just leaving a couple of lamps or something on the legitimate supply so the DNO dont smell a rat. Please be careful these people are seriously nasty so if you know what I mean
 16 May 2018 03:29 PM

alancapon

If you think you have spotted energy theft or attempted energy theft, there is a group in the UK that all the electricity companies belong to called The UK Revenue Protection Agency. There is a form available on their website for reporting suspected abstraction here. You can make the report anonymously if you wish. Finally, do not post evidence including photos on a public website like this, as it may jeopardise an investigation.

Regards,

Alan.
 16 May 2018 03:30 PM

mapj1

Could of course be a supply for a new bus stop, school crossing lights, mobile phone base station or car charger, but it rather depends where it is.
Presumably other factors you can see and we can't have triggered your alarm sensors, or you would not be asking, so the responsible thing is to take notes and to report it.
At worst you are mistaken and it is legit, and maybe someone should have been a bit more careful with the signage and procedures, no harm done.
And if you are right and it is not, then you are doing someone, well everyone who pays the proper rate actually, a favour.

-------------------------
regards Mike
 16 May 2018 03:40 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

broadgage

Agree, it sounds like POSSIBLE abstraction, though it MIGHT be legitimate.
I would report it as suggested above.
Do not give too much detail on a public forum, and do not give your name and address to the revenue protection agency.

I have heard reliable suggestions that organised gangs will make illegal connections for a fee, there is a lot of money involved.
 16 May 2018 03:41 PM

Digiboy

Thanks for the comments and warnings guys (thanks Kellyselectric) - duly noted.

I'll try and see what works are carried before any further action, and won't post pics as suggested.

As said it may well be legit but just without the expected standards/procedures.
 16 May 2018 03:42 PM

ToniSM

I wouldn't even bother to pick up the phone as it's not my problem.

-------------------------
The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.
 16 May 2018 03:43 PM

Digiboy

Certainly a possible course of inaction ToniSM.

The works in question are accross from my parents so I have a particular sensitivity to issues in and around thier neighbourhood.

I certainly wouldn't want my supply to be coming off a 'tampered with' feed.
 16 May 2018 03:43 PM

alancapon

Originally posted by: ToniSM
I wouldn't even bother to pick up the phone as it's not my problem. . .

Fair enough, but abstraction is counted as "system losses" and divided up against that DNO's customer connections, raising everyone's electricity bill.

Regards,

Alan.
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2018 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.