Topic Title: RCDs in Australia
Topic Summary: Why arent they getting tested
Created On: 28 April 2018 07:54 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 14 May 2018 09:46 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Grobbyman

You must have been very lucky Wb.
Just completed two small caravan park (static)nspections.
First park 4 of 21 pitch RCDs failed to operate either on test button or test.
Second park 2 of 24 same thing.
Replaced with new and all ok.
Regards
George
 14 May 2018 10:21 PM

mapj1

Originally posted by: Weirdbeard2

Originally posted by: mapj1

I've had a few fail to trip, but generally when that occurs it has been total loss, not just a bit slow. Last one on my own workshop at home oddly enough. I now have two in series from different makers.

Thanks for the reply, could you expand on how your RCD devices failed to trip?

Certainly.
In a couple of cases, power failed to trip off during a real earth fault, and indeed then non-tripping confirmed on test. And in other cases, otherwise just failed to go off during a routine test, and then on further testing, also failed to trip at any current up to the maximum on the meter.
In most cases I don't know the history, so they may at some point have been some great over-current and welded, and I don't know how often the test buttons were pressed, but in the case of the one on my own installation, I know that nothing nasty had ever been done, and it just failed instrumented testing, performed after failing on the test button, after about 4 years of being on my garage wall in an IP rated plastic box.
I have probably seen half a dozen that simply never trip like this in the last 2 or 3 years, no more than that.

-------------------------
regards Mike

Edited: 14 May 2018 at 10:28 PM by mapj1
 15 May 2018 05:33 PM

Weirdbeard2

Originally posted by: Weirdbeard2

I've had a few fail to trip, but generally when that occurs it has been total loss, not just a bit slow. Last one on my own workshop at home oddly enough. I now have two in series from different makers.

Thanks for the reply, could you expand on how your RCD devices failed to trip?

Certainly.

In a couple of cases, power failed to trip off during a real earth fault, and indeed then non-tripping confirmed on test.

Thanks Mike, how did you know there was an earth fault, presumably there was another circuit protective device that operated?
 15 May 2018 05:57 PM

Weirdbeard2

Originally posted by: Grobbyman

Thanks George, I didn't mean I haven't ever changed an RCD, we all have bills to pay, but I have never known a RCD to fail to operate when it should do in a non testing situation
 15 May 2018 07:48 PM

jcm256

They don't do Periodic Wiring Inspections in Australia (With a few exceptions). This is why I am out of a job. They tell me I need a full Electricians Licence to carry out my RCD Tests. I need to attend a series of workshops and work under supervision even though I have tested over 250,000 RCDs in the past. They keep putting obstacles in my way. They don't like immigrants over here and are not afraid to say so. There are numerous flaws in their electrical safety culture but they don't want to know. Unfortunately they will wait until someone dies before taking action.

--------------------------
keithredpath ------------------------

Sorry I can't help you with your problems, but it's a funny old world I remember you were displeased by the discrimation I received in Scotland and you said I will have a word with them. Had a look at some comments posted on Australia and NZ wiring regulations due August 2018, see something about (I did not that existed ) no ,longer legal to have a voltage (Live) on the outgoing side of the RCD when switched off possibly due to a fault somewhere in the installation. RCD's on all lighting circuits (Except illuminated escape signs. Say nothing no nothing about Aus wiring regulations Good luck with your new life in Australia.
Regards
jcm

https://www.ecdonline.com.au/magazine#axzz5Faprya2W

http://www.wiringrules.standar...kCAvqOG5w%3d&tabid=380
 15 May 2018 08:51 PM

Zoomup

Originally posted by: Grobbyman

Regards

George

Hello George,
were the faulty R.C.D.s in outside hook-up point enclosures where it gets cold and possibly damp.

Z.
 15 May 2018 09:15 PM

Grobbyman

Yes they were in the pitch boxes.
They may get cold but they certainly had not got damp.
I'm afraid I don't find this at all unusual.
I've had more than one RCD (both single and three phase) u/s straight out the box.
Regards
George
 15 May 2018 10:58 PM

mapj1

Thanks Mike, how did you know there was an earth fault, presumably there was another circuit protective device that operated?

In one case, TN supply and a fuse went, and in another no, no trip at all, just live metalwork and rod on TT supply . This is the reason I like the 100mA or 300mA time delay incomer, and dual RCDs at campsites etc just to catch this sort of thing.

-------------------------
regards Mike
IET » Wiring and the regulations » RCDs in Australia

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2018 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.