Increase font size
Topic Title: "My electricity has frozen"
Topic Summary:
Created On: 28 February 2018 01:41 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 28 February 2018 01:41 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

broadgage

Call from a neighbour who had suffered a power cut, and also observed that ice had formed on the overhead lines into their home.

They believed that the ice was blocking the flow of electricity, and had to be firmly discouraged from poking the cables with a long item in order to "remove the ice and let the electricity flow through" !
 28 February 2018 02:17 PM

Alcomax

Neighbour is not a plumber by chance?
 28 February 2018 03:48 PM

AncientMariner

Having experienced water in a waveguide and having to go aloft to drain it out, I can sort of understand your neighbours logic...

I guess gas could be blocked by frozen condensation in the dip of a gas pipe. Watching the gas engineer saw through a plastic feed pipe to a property and then afterwards put the clamp on it showed how low pressure some gas mains are.

Clive

-------------------------
Clive S Carver GCGI IEng MIET MITP
 28 February 2018 03:58 PM

broadgage

My neighbours are teachers, hopefully not teaching science ! probably meeja studies.

Condensation freezing in gas pipes used to be a regular problem with town gas. Natural gas is much dryer and condensation problems very rare.
 28 February 2018 08:16 PM

kellyselectric

Do they insist on keeping all sockets plugged to stop the letric flowing out? Some people are weird!
 28 February 2018 08:53 PM

broadgage

Originally posted by: kellyselectric

Do they insist on keeping all sockets plugged to stop the letric flowing out? Some people are weird!

But you have to let a little flow out to stop it freezing, as any fule knoweth.
 16 May 2018 04:26 PM

kellyselectric

Lol!
 17 May 2018 02:49 PM

kellyselectric

Reminds me when we had all than snow and ice it was so cold the flame on my lighter froze! Honest!
 17 May 2018 02:49 PM

kellyselectric

Reminds me when we had all than snow and ice it was so cold the flame on my lighter froze! Honest!
 18 May 2018 08:47 AM

potential

Originally posted by: broadgage

My neighbours are teachers, hopefully not teaching science ! probably meeja studies.

I think that is a worrying feature of many so-called educated people these days.
Modern education is far too narrow and must often lead to gross errors of judgment.
 18 May 2018 09:11 AM

broadgage

Agree, electricity in particular seems to be LESS understood than was the case back in the day.

A worrying number of people seem to believe that a fuse in some way regulates or controls the amount of electricity used, rather than being a simple device that opens in case of over current.
Such people fit smaller fuses in 13 amp plugs in order to save money. They believe for example that use of a 1 amp fuse instead of 3 amps for a lamp reduces electricity used and that it is "still nearly as bright"
Likewise 10 amp instead of 13 amp fuses for a washing machine.
The absence of 1 amp fuses in most shops is a conspiracy by the fat cat power companies to extract EVEN MORE money from the helpless consumer.

Key meters for electricity are widely misunderstood. It is commonly believed that the credit paid for is in some way lost or dissipated whilst the key is in transit from the shop to the home "had to wait ages for the bus and lost half the credit"
It is also believed that a power cut robs the consumer of electricity already paid for. "Electric normally costs me about £5 an evening, but yesterday evening my power was off. How do I get my £5 back"
 18 May 2018 03:45 PM

kellyselectric

Broadgage are these real quotes from people it beggers beleife people are that daft still I suppose its better than leaving a table lamp with a 13 amp fuse in its plug especially now with the all these new fangled lamps about. But I think your right years ago people had much more respect for electricity even if they little or no understanding of the technicalities of it everyone new a few basic safety rules I think there is a general dumbing down these days or is it just me getting grumpy!
 18 May 2018 06:07 PM

broadgage

Yes actual quotes from people down the pub or in the local shop.

Another very common misunderstanding is what will happen if some emergency requires rota power cuts.

As most members of this forum are aware, rota cuts would affect EVERY LV customer in the affected area.

This however is not widely understood ! It is widely believed that exceptions would be made for special cases.
"They cant cut off old peoples homes"
"nor people with stairlifts"

It is not understood that EVERY mains voltage appliance would cease to function. "they would have to leave the light on the stairs on"
"they would have to let me use a heater for my baby"

I even met a senior police officer who believed that police stations would be exempt. He stated that anyone sent to cut off a police station would be refused admission, or as a last resort arrested for obstructing the police.
He looked a bit shocked when I explained that the whole district would be cut off remotely.
 18 May 2018 09:15 PM

AncientMariner

A retired police officer friend of mine, who joined with an HNC in electrical engineering, told me a few years ago, that when he lived in one of what were then the local police houses back in the 1970s, he was lucky in that during the 3-day week when there were regular power cuts, his house and the next door neighbour's stayed on due to the same supply also feeding a pump at a local water works.

Likely wouldn't happen now, since he told me in 2012 when I was a Rule 6 party at a Public Inquiry into a planning matter. The waterworks building and associated land has now gone to be replaced by 44 houses. The police houses too were sold off some time ago.

Clive

-------------------------
Clive S Carver GCGI IEng MIET MITP
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2018 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.