Professional registration is a status awarded to qualified engineers and technicians. It is awarded by licensed bodies who represent the Engineering Council and is based on knowledge, competence and commitment to professionalism.
The IET is licensed to award:
- Chartered Engineer (CEng)
- Incorporated Engineer (IEng)
- Engineering Technician (EngTech)
- ICT Technician (ICTTech)
Why get professionally registered?
There are many benefits to registration:
- Recognition as a professional in your field
- Improved career opportunities and salary prospects
- Greater influence within your organisation and industry
- Official confirmation of your professional competence
- Opportunities to connect with influential and inspirational people
- International recognition of your qualifications.
How much does it cost?
To get started, you’ll need to pay an application fee within seven days of applying. There’s also an entrance fee to be paid to the Engineering Council, once you have been awarded professional registration. Check our fees page for up to date fees.
What if I’ve already registered with another institution?
You can transfer to the IET at any time as long as it’s more than 12 months after you registered, and your Engineering Council subscription payments are up to date. Transfer in three easy steps:
- Become a member of the IET
- Submit a CV along with five years' CPD, that has been signed by a supporter
- Pay a transfer fee and wait to hear from us.