Qualifications and experience required for MIET

Qualifications and experience accepted as evidence for member with designatory letters MIET.

To join the IET as a member with designatory letters MIET, you must meet the requirements for MIET including having achieved an acceptable standard of knowledge and understanding.

Listed below are appropriate qualifications and experience in the fields of science, engineering and technology that would be accepted as evidence.

Appropriate qualifications for MIET

  • Pass/Ordinary/Honours degree in an appropriate subject eg BSc, BTech, BEng (Hons), HTI, MEng, MSc, PhD;
  • UK Construction Skills Safety Scheme (CSCS/ECS) Platinum Card;
  • UK NVQ/SVQ at Level 4 or 5 in an appropriate subject.

The following qualifications can be accepted with a current CV which shows evidence of work at graduate level:

  • Postgraduate diploma, professional qualification;
  • Other Honours degrees or higher degrees eg BA(Hons);
  • CISCO systems CCNA, CCNP or CCIE;
  • City & Guilds 2391.

The following qualifications can be accepted with a current CV which shows evidence of work experience (between two to 12 years dependant on the qualification) and work at graduate level:

  • UK Foundation degree in an appropriate subject;
  • UK HND in technology;
  • UK HNC in technology;
  • City & Guilds 236 (electrical installation).

Any other qualification (including non-technical degree or no qualification) is assessed on an individual basis.

Appropriate experience for MIET

  • Graduate training scheme;
  • Postgraduate research/study for Masters or PhD;
  • Qualified teacher responsible for science, mathematics, IT, engineering, design or technology;
  • FE or HE lecturer in science, mathematics, IT, engineering, technology;
  • Qualifying supervisor in electrical installation (as defined by ECA, NICEIC);
  • Military trainer (non-commissioned);
  • Industrial trainer;
  • UK government engineer or technologist, grades B, C or D;
  • Armed forces - commissioned officers, non-commissioned officers at Warrant Officer or equivalent;
  • Legal or financial professionals working in an engineering or technology environment;
  • IT analyst;
  • Consultant;
  • Manager or self-employed contractor with responsibility for managing budgets and/or staff and/or contractors and/or contracts;
  • Manager, senior manager, director of SMEs (over ten staff) and larger organisations;
  • Self-employed contractor working in graduate roles within client organisations;
  • Authorised person or inspector with legal responsibility/liability for inspection and approval of safety critical systems or equipment.

Please note

The IET periodically review and expands these lists to encompass other sectors within the science, engineering and technology industry.

It is IET policy to use the term designatory letters rather than post-nominals when referring to the letters after your name.