Skills, knowledge and personal characteristics of a member of Council.
• Understanding and commitment to the IET and its objectives;
• An understanding and acceptance of the duties and responsibilities of Council membership and volunteers generally;
• The ability to make good, independent judgements;
• Strategic thinking and vision;
• Ability to think creatively;
• Willingness to speak their mind;
• Ability to work effectively as a member of a team and to accept consensus decisions and act upon them.
Council as an entity needs skills and experience in the following areas:
• Governance (charity);
• Serving the public interest;
• Understanding of the breadth of the international engineering and technology profession.
• Diversity and inclusion;
• Representation within a membership body.
• Understanding of risk management and monitoring governance.