Editorial and Production Assistant
We are always looking for enthusiastic Editorial and Production Assistants (full time, part time or fixed term) to join the team - if you are interested in being considered for these roles as they come up, do send in your CV today! We will be in touch when a new role becomes available.
Reports to: Journals Editorial Manager, Research Journals
Accountable to: Head of Academic Publiching
Hours: 35 hours per week, exclusive of meal breaks, plus as many as required to fulfil the needs of the post
Location: Michael Faraday House, Six Hills, Way, Stevenage
Main duties and responsibilities
- To manage the entire journal peer review process ensuring all articles for journals of responsibility are peer reviewed within the specified timeframes and according to Journal Best Practice, this includes;
- Pre-filtering papers (Scope, Language, Format etc.)
- Researching and selecting reviewers (in house database and internet research)
- Processing decisions
- Responding to email and telephone queries and chasing authors, reviewers & editors to ensure timely decisions
- To manage the entire journal production process, from paper acceptance to digital publication (and print where applicable) ensuring all articles and issues for journals of responsibility are published within the specified timeframes, budgets and quality in line with Journal Best Practice, this includes;
- Ensuring all source files/copyright forms including Open Access licences are submitted
- Exporting all files and metadata to the Journal Production system
- Ensuring the quality of copyediting and typesetting and recording issues as appropriate
- Marking up and validating author corrections
- Ensuring the final XML, PDF and image files are correct
- Delivering articles and issue online files to the IET Digital Library platform
- To capture, analyse trends and provide agreed metrics to the Journals Editorial Manager, the Executive Editor (IET Research Journals) and the Managing Editor or as appropriate and as required;
- Participating in testing of functions/workflow changes before new system releases
- Contributing to team meetings/discussions on journals
- Supporting others within the team during busy periods/holiday etc.
- To occasionally report on journals of responsibility at editorial board meetings nationally and internationally as required;
- To undertake any other duties and projects at the request of the line manager;
- To comply with data protection legislation and act responsibly on matters of data disclosure both internally and to third parties;
- To be familiar with the Health and Safety and Fire policies for the organisation and to attend mandatory updates where required.
- Educated to degree level, or equivalent;
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills, with a strong customer focus;
- Tact and diplomacy;
- A high degree of literacy and numeracy skills plus experience of using computers for electronic mail, internet research, information retrieval, file manipulation and word processing;
- Organisational and time management skills with excellent attention to detail;
- Willingness to travel and represent the journals of responsibility at Editorial board meetings.
- Scientific or Engineering background;
- Knowledge/experience of STM publishing.
- Knowledge of XML
- Experience of proofreading