- To support the IET role and ambitions in the advancement of science, engineering and technology through its focus on evidence-based thought leadership and policy.
- To ensure cross-sector working with key stakeholders from industry and academia to gather evidence and insight to influence government and policymakers.
- To provide independent and timely advice and evidence to inform the IET’s key stakeholders; government, industry and academia and society.
- To increase the IET's influence over government policy on matters to do with engineering and technology and establish a strong identity as a trusted authority.
- To assure the Board of Trustees that the focus of the Policy and Insight Panels remains relevant to the Institution’s strategy.
Scope and duties
- Support the development of an overall model of delivery of IET policy outputs and engagement with policymakers including the overall governance of the policy work. This should allow agile expert response to a rapidly changing environment.
- Work with the Chairs of the Policy and Insight Panels to ensure a programme of coordinated and cross-sector topics aligned to the IET’s strategy across the portfolio where the timing and market awareness allows this to happen.
- Ensure work is aligned with other areas of the IET, including, but not limited to, Technical Networks, Codes and Guidance, Strategy and Planning, and the Publishing and Journals team to ensure the IET is maximising the impact of it strategically aligned work.
- Provide regular updates and reports as required to help staff demonstrate the IET’s impact in key policy areas and keep the Main Boards up to date with policy work.
- Ensure spokespeople, who can speak on behalf of the IET, are in place for key policy areas and are able to participate in media interviews, as keynote speakers, or be approached for interviews.
- To supervise the Policy and Insight Panels and approve the appointment of members of the Panels.
- To report to the Board of Trustees.