The IET Archives collect and retain material relating to the IET and its predecessor institutions as well as the history of engineering and technology. Our collections cover innovation and developments in these areas from the fourteenth century to the present day. The core collections and rare books libraries are held at the Archives Centre in London with the majority of material held off site in a special temperature and humidity controlled repository.
We are not static and continuously acquire material to supplement our collections. However, each new collection is considered on a case by case basis and must fall within our collecting policy. To find out more please contact us and take a look at our depositor agreement form for our terms and conditions.
We offer a simple enquiry service and aim to respond to enquiries within five working days. If you are unable to find what you are looking for by searching this website or our online catalogue please contact us. For more advanced searches we ask that you make an appointment to view the material if applicable.
These are the official records and working papers concerning the activities of the IET since its foundation as the Society of Telegraph Engineers in 1871. We preserve the records of the IET's 130-year history, including material from the Institution of Electrical Engineers (IEE), IERE, IIE and also IMfgE who were formerly the Institution of Production Engineers (IProdE). The IET Archives are made up of the archives of the IET itself, dating from 1871, and collections on the history of technology that have been deposited with us.
The IET has acquired the papers and manuscripts of many distinguished people concerned with science and technology. These include the papers of Sir Francis Ronalds, and Oliver Heaviside, plus many others. Other manuscripts and documents relate to the development of the telegraph (particularly the Atlantic submarine cable) and the development of electrical equipment in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.
Perhaps one of the most important collections held is the Faraday Collection. These manuscripts were presented to the IET in 1915 by David James Blaikley on the condition that they were preserved and made available to researchers. The collection consists of notebooks, correspondence and manuscripts covering his travels in Europe with Sir Humphry Davy, his chemical notes and some 600 letters from many famous names in science and current affairs.
This collection consists of corporate records, constituting a considerable business archive in engineering policy and innovation. The records cover the early nineteenth century to the present day and range from company records, records of societies, working papers of engineers and scientists, plans, drawings, photographs and trade literature. Three major collections are the archives of the Women’s Engineering Society, the Electrical Association for Women and the personal papers of Dame Caroline Haslett.
The IET is fortunate to have acquired two fine rare books collections. The library of Sir Francis Ronalds, which comprises about 2000 volumes and 4000 pamphlets on electricity and magnetism, was bequeathed to his brother-in-law but in accordance with Ronalds’ wish that the library should remain together it was transferred to the IET in 1876. It includes many books collected during his travels abroad.
Silvanus Philips Thompson’s library of 900 rare books, 3700 scientific and technical books and 8000 pamphlets was purchased in 1917 by the IET with a grant from the Council and subscriptions from members and his old students at Finsbury Technical College. The library includes rare books from the fifteenth to the seventeenth centuries and thirteen manuscripts including Peter Peregrinus’ Epsitola De Magnete and Chaucer’s Astrolabe, dated 1391.
The two collections together form one of the finest small collections of books and manuscripts relating to magnetism and the development of electrical science and technology.