Scotland Policy Panel
The Scotland Policy Panel acts as a two-way link between the profession and government in Scotland.
Its main tasks are to provide feedback into government thinking and to proactively raise matters of relevance with government. The policy group comprises senior members from Scottish industry, academia and professional organisations engaged with Scottish issues.
The policy panel operates under the title "Engineering Policy Group Scotland".
In fulfilling its role the policy panel:
- provides via the IET considered answers and steering information to Scottish Executive consultations and other reports on Scottish issues relevant to the profession
- undertakes pre-emptive identification of issues applicable to Scotland's industry, educational system, social infrastructure and its engineering professionals
- provides a definitive IET Policy strategy and position regarding Scotland
- enables the IET to provide independent professional advice to Scotland's government
The policy panel's scope includes:
- economic and political influences on Scotland
- environmental impact of technology relevant to Scotland
- national and European Community legislation change
- emerging technologies likely to impinge on the Scottish economy
- safety and security issues
- engineering skills, skills attrition, education and recruitment within Scotland
Members of the Engineering Policy Group Scotland
Engineering Scotland's future
Securing Scotland's energy future
Additional submissions made by the IET may be found in the submissions archive.
- September 2012 - Engineering Scotland's low carbon economy
- March 2012 - Scotland's infrastructure plan
- September 2011 - STEM skills and the Scottish economy
- December 2010 - The future of oil and gas
- June 2010 - Controlling transport emissions
- February 2010 - Energy efficiency solutions for Scotland's built environment
- September 2009 - Tackling Scotland's electrical energy challenge
- December 2008 - Electronics and science: relevance to the Scottish economy
- April 2008 - Energy challenge