IET to award Chartered Manager status to its members
19 May 2014
The Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) has formed a partnership with the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) enabling it to award Chartered Manager status to its members.
The partnership, launched today, means that IET members accredited as Chartered Engineer (CEng) or Incorporated Engineer (IEng) can apply for Chartered Manager (CMgr) via the IET web site.
Those achieving Chartered Manager status will be able to use the post nominal 'CMgr' after their name, to reinforce recognition and professional standing.
Nigel Fine, IET Chief Executive, said: “Through this new partnership we are delighted to be able to offer IET members a streamlined process to achieving Chartered Manager status.
“The prestigious status of Chartered Manager will provide valuable recognition for engineers who have progressed into roles with management responsibilities. Successful applicants will benefit from increased industry recognition, enhanced professional standing, as well as improved career development.”
Ann Francke, CMI’s Chief Executive said: “Chartered and Incorporated Engineers have proved that they’re great engineers, but moving into management throws up a whole new set of challenges. Chartered Manager is the perfect way to show that you’re just as committed to professionalism in how you manage and lead. It’s the logical next step for highly skilled engineers who are looking to progress their careers.”
CMI research has found that Chartered Managers deliver over £360,000 in added value to their organisations, with many also reporting career and salary progression as well as benefits such as increased self-awareness and confidence.
Through the partnership with the CMI, IET members achieving CMgr will also benefit from opportunities to network with CMI members from a wider array of specialisms and disciplines and have access to the CMI’s knowledge resources and publications.
For more information, visit www.theiet.org/CMgr
Notes to editors:
About the IET:
- Interview opportunities are available with IET spokespeople from a broad range of engineering and technology disciplines including cyber-security, energy, engineering skills, innovation, manufacturing, technology, transport and women in engineering.
- The IET is one of the world’s largest organisations for engineers and technicians. We have nearly 160,000 members in 127 countries around the world.
- The IET is working to engineer a better world. We inspire, inform and influence the global engineering community, supporting technology innovation to meet the needs of society.
- The IET is the Professional Home for Life® for engineers and technicians, and a trusted source of Essential Engineering Intelligence® and thought leadership.
- For more information, visit www.theiet.org
- CMI – the Chartered Management Institute – is the only chartered professional body for management and leadership, dedicated to improving managers’ skills and growing the number of qualified managers.
- Our unique professional management qualifications span GCSE to PhD level, with the Chartered Manager award providing managers with a ‘practical MBA’ that increases earnings potential and improves workplace performance.
- We provide employers and individual managers with access to the latest management thinking and with practical online support which helps them embrace change, create high performing teams and keep ahead of the curve.
- With a member community of 100,000 managers and leaders, we promote high standards of ethical practice through our Professional Code of Conduct, and help managers build their expertise through online networks, regional events and mentoring opportunities.
- The research referred to is Professionalising Management: The Impact of Chartered Manager, CMI, 2012. It found Chartered Managers added an average estimated value of £362,000 to their organisations.
- Visit www.managers.org.uk/ for more information.