What do I need to do for Chartered Engineer (CEng) professional registration?

Chartered Engineer (CEng) - find out whether you're ready to apply.

Applying for professional registration

You must be a member of the IET before applying for professional registration. For more information please visit the about IET membership page.

You can apply for professional registration in one of two ways:

If you're ready to apply for CEng

Familiarise yourself with the Engineering Council's UK-SPEC competence framework which is the standard you need to follow to apply for CEng.


You will need to present evidence to demonstrate your level of competence in both your application form and face-to-face interview.

Evidence of your competence

If you are working towards CEng you must show:

  • how you used your technical and/or engineering knowledge and understanding to improve or exploit new and advancing technology;
  • how you applied a combination of theoretical and practical methods to analyse and solve a technical and/or engineering problem. This may include the identification of a potential project and where you have conducted appropriate research to design and develop an engineering solution;
  • where you exercised your technical and commercial leadership skills;
  • your personal commitment to professional standards and recognition of obligations to society, the profession and the environment.

Technical knowledge and understanding

The list below sets out the different ways in which you may demonstrate the knowledge and understanding to underpin the competences for CEng registration:

  • An accredited Bachelors degree with Honours in engineering or technology, plus either an accredited Masters degree, or appropriate further learning to Masters level;
  • An accredited, integrated MEng degree;
  • An accredited Bachelors degree with Honours in engineering or technology, started prior to September 1999 when the standard changed;
  • Other formal qualifications, eg those gained overseas, assessed by the IET as equivalent in the context of your overall application;
  • Work-based learning, assessed by the IET in the context of your overall application;
  • A combination of the above.

How do I find out if my qualification is accredited for CEng?

Remember that formal education is just one option. If you do not hold a formal qualification, but can provide other evidence of your technical knowledge and understanding, you can still become registered.

I'm ready for professional registration, how do I apply?

Unsure if you're ready to apply for CEng yet?

Contact a professional registration advisor if you have any questions about your application. PRAs are members with detailed knowledge of the requirements and routes to professional registration. They are able to review individual cases and advise on whether a candidate is ready to apply to the IET for professional registration. They will also be able to advise on the presentation aspect of making a formal application.

If you are just starting your professional development and are not ready to apply, you can register your interest and let the IET support you as you undertake initial professional development and work toward professional registration.

You can begin to compile your evidence using Career Manager, which is designed to help you build the evidence base you need to apply for CEng and is aligned to the Engineering Council's UK Standard for Professional Engineering Competence (UK-SPEC). Information will be stored in Career Manager until you are ready to apply for professional registration.

If you are still unsure, but are on an accredited company scheme, speak to your scheme advisor who will be able to give you further advice. The IET has a range of accredited company schemes that provide separately assessed knowledge development together with structured professional development.

Need help?

You may find answers to some of your questions in the professional registration frequently asked questions.

We will do as much as we can to support you with any aspect of your application, so please get in touch if you need help and advice.


Tel: +44 (0) 1438 767 333
Email: profreg@theiet.org